to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Claiming PIP and being a carer

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

I’m in the middle of doing a submission for someone who has quite serious mental health problems and neglects herself in the usual ways - not washing, not changing clothes, not cooking or eating properly etc - but is in receipt of Carer’s Allowance for her autistic son - a point that has been made in the SSWP submission.  They also argue that there is no social services input.  It’s not that unusual to have this situation with parents.  What is the best way of making the point that someone can neglect themselves but has a strong motivation to do the best they can for their child?

C Browne
forum member

Macmillan Cancer Support

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Hi Ruth,

PM v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (PIP): [2017] UKUT 502 (AAC) may be of some use in this argument - Got it from pipinfo.

Good Luck.

Best Regards

Chris

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

It’s not much different from other cases - as always you have the show on the balance of it that your client’s statements are accurate. Where she contradicts with what she does for her son you can look to the wording of the descriptors.

The not cooking is where you’ll likely encounter difficulty here - the activity concerns the mechanical functions of cooking - if she cooks for her son she can cook, period.

In regards to taking nutrition: Autistic children often have restricted diets, which may not be desirable to others - so she might have to cook twice to make her own food too - might reasonably reduce her motivation to eat. Conversely, you’ll often find that parents cook and eat with their children.

The arguments about carer’s allowance and lack of social services input is just the usual copy paste DWP statements - not worth the paper they’re written on unless they can realistically tie it to her ability to perform activities. Her physical presence and reassurance alone could be enough care to claim CA. Half the time I see the bit on social services - there is in fact input from social services!

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

Thanks to both - it’s given me some good ideas. As you say, simply being present is all that is necessary for much of the time.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 617

If you need to argue against the “carers allowance cut and paste” I have attached an (anonomised) extract from one of my cases you could adapt

File Attachments