to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Mix age couple and pension credit

raissa
forum member

Newcastle Law centre

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Please I have a client who recently reach pension age. He applied for State pension but failed to meet the 10 years qualifying period. Thought he could apply for pension credit and he was told him and the wife needs to be of pension age before he could apply. I advice the wife should submit a new UC application. He said they did but her wife is receiving some support and not him
He is left with no money.
Please has anyone dealt with similar query before.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

If they are a mixed age couple, then it is UC rather than PC. However it is not his wife that needs to claim UC, but the two of them as a couple. The award ought to be calculated on the ordinary basis, with a standard allowance at the couple rate and whatever other elements are relevant.

I am not really quite sure what you mean therefore in saying that “he is left with no money”. Perhaps have a look at how the award is calculated and we can tell you if it is wrong?

raissa
forum member

Newcastle Law centre

Send message

Total Posts: 33

Thanks Elliot.
The phrase left with no money is because he was told he can’t get UC and needs to apply for state pension or pension credit. He tried to submit and application and they were both decline. Reason why he said he is left with no money which I find odd.
Therefore, might arrange an appointment to check their UC account.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Yes, you are going to need a clearer idea of what is going on. He can’t apply for UC in his own right but can do so as a member of a couple.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3217

Payment of UC is generally made to one member of the couple for both partners.

Is this what you mean? Even though both partners make UC claims and join them together, the general rule is only one payment.