Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Pension Credit Premiums

Jen
forum member

Benefits & Money Dover District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hi there
I’m second guessing myself over a couple I put in a Pension credit claim for.  They are a married couple, Mr age 73 and Mrs age 74.
Mr has Underlying Entitlement to Carers Allowance and Mrs High Rate Attendance Allowance.  Would their appropriate amount include Carers Premium AND Disability Premium?
Neither are registered blind.
Many thanks in advance

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

HI Jen - I’m guessing you mean severe disability addition - they wouldn’t qualify for that because you have to either live alone or both qualify if you’re a couple - so they wouldn’t meet that criteria.

But fine for carer addition :)

Jen
forum member

Benefits & Money Dover District Council

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  In the case of a couple who both get disability benefit (at the correct rate) and both have UE for Carers Allowance - Would that couple get 2 x SDP and 2 x Carer Premium?

C Browne
forum member

Macmillan Cancer Support

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Hi Jen,

Simple answer is YES.

Regards

HTB
forum member

Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Jen - 26 January 2023 02:09 PM

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  In the case of a couple who both get disability benefit (at the correct rate) and both have UE for Carers Allowance - Would that couple get 2 x SDP and 2 x Carer Premium?

C Browne - 26 January 2023 02:38 PM

Hi Jen,

Simple answer is YES.

Regards

Would the circumstances Jen described also apply to HB and CTS applicable amounts (i.e. couple both meeting disability criteria and both CA UE)? Are they eligible for both Premiums?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

Yes to HB - I guess CTS could depend on the individual scheme

Prisca
forum member

benefits section (training & accuracy) Bristol city council

Send message

Total Posts: 202

Pensioners CTS is a national scheme - there are no local variations in it - and the applicable anmounts are same as for pensioner HB ( pension credit allowance/i think are a bit lower than HB/CT allowances/premiums)

Yes, a pensioner couple who each satisfy the criteria for SDP and Underlying carers allowance can get SDP couple rate and 2 x carer premiums in their applicable amount

HTB
forum member

Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Daphne - 13 February 2023 02:40 PM

Yes to HB - I guess CTS could depend on the individual scheme

Thanks Daphne

HTB
forum member

Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

Prisca - 13 February 2023 04:15 PM

Pensioners CTS is a national scheme - there are no local variations in it - and the applicable anmounts are same as for pensioner HB ( pension credit allowance/i think are a bit lower than HB/CT allowances/premiums)

Yes, a pensioner couple who each satisfy the criteria for SDP and Underlying carers allowance can get SDP couple rate and 2 x carer premiums in their applicable amount

That’s brilliant, thank you Prisca.

I was doing a bit more digging around after Daphne’s reply and found myself deep in the bowels of the Valuation Tribunal Service’s Council Tax Manual January 2022 Revision, where I found the following:

The Government has protected applicants of pensionable age by ensuring the same
rules that existed before 1 April 2013 will continue to apply to that group.  This means
the same scheme rules apply to applicants of pensionable age wherever they live in
the country.  The rules are commonly referred to as the Government’s “default
scheme”.

That’s the same as you advised Prisca so that’s great. Now I just have to try find the relevant regulation/legislation that underpins where the “default scheme” permits 2 x SDP and 2 x CP to quote to the LA.

Any pointers (or maybe quoting from the VTS’s Manual will suffice)?

HTB
forum member

Citizens Advice Cornwall

Send message

HTB - 13 February 2023 05:23 PM

Now I just have to try find the relevant regulation/legislation that underpins where the “default scheme” permits 2 x SDP and 2 x CP to quote to the LA.

Any pointers (or maybe quoting from the VTS’s Manual will suffice)?

Found it!!

The Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Default Scheme) (England) Regulations 2012, Schedule 2, Part 3 and specifically Part 4, 12(1)(b)(ii)(4)

:-)

[ Edited: 13 Feb 2023 at 05:41 pm by HTB ]