to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Capital Limits, ESA and Housing Benefit

Stuart L
forum member

Welfare Benefits and Energy Team, Denbighshire Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 3

I have a client who was in receipt of ESA and Housing Benefit, then came into some money (sale of inherited property) around 2020 and due to having capital in excess of the upper limit was then no longer receiving means tested benefit.
The capital has now diminished and is below lower capital limit of £6000.

Client has continued to receive ESA throughout, is in the support group and was receiving this as contribution based ESA.

Having reported capital below lower capital limit, client appears to have now received the Severe Disability Premium and Enhanced Disability Premium reinstated. This appears to be a consequence of the CB-ESA having continued uninterrupted.

Is there any chance of getting the Housing Benefit back as well or will this have to be a claim for Universal Credit?

I am thinking that the housing benefit claim previously in place will have been fully terminated due to lack of entitlement when client exceeded capital limits. To replace it would therefore require a claim for UC (specifically housing element).

Client does live alone in local authority rented property (not supported living).

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3224

I think you are correct - whilst it is possible to move between contributory ESA and income-related ESA entitlement due to them being one single benefit with two components, the HB award was terminated when he had excess capital and no new HB claims are possible (except in very limited circumstances).

So the only way to get housing costs paid will be through UC which will terminate his ESA award (although he should get the SDP transitional payment I think).