to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP Mobility - evidence used by First-tier Tribunal

Jezy
forum member

Welfare rights team - Colchester Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 22

When deciding not to award enhanced rate of mobility component FtT has stated in statement of reasons that client’s ‘regular use of treadmill… on setting of 2-3 out of 18 settings ...equated to 2-3 miles per hour’. 

Client has stated at hearing she could use the treadmill for 5 mins before resting ‘then walk another 5-10 minutes and so on ...  equating to 35 mins exercise per hour’ 

FtT concluded client ‘would cover 166 metres in 5 mins’ and for this and other reasons only awarded 4 points.

Is it reasonable for a FtT to consider such usage of a treadmill as evidence of client’s ability to move around outside her home?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Tribunals must consider any evidence available to them, so yes, I’d say it’s reasonable for them to rely on this evidence.

2.5mph is within the scope of normal/average walking speed, and she can apparently both maintain this speed for a time period and with some repetition. If anything the tribunal’s maths are off - 5 mins at 2.5mph is over 300 metres.

That being said, treadmills are materially different to walking on a paved surface (the latter being the actual test). They have handholds, and are smooth, etc.

The question you should be asking is how much ‘weight’ they should attach to this evidence when comparing it to other evidence. I.e. it comes down to the particularities of your client’s conditions.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1020

Walking speeds found by Road Research Laboratory - see attachment

File Attachments

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3151

Va1der - 12 January 2023 01:41 PM

Tribunals must consider any evidence available to them, so yes, I’d say it’s reasonable for them to rely on this evidence.

2.5mph is within the scope of normal/average walking speed, and she can apparently both maintain this speed for a time period and with some repetition. If anything the tribunal’s maths are off - 5 mins at 2.5mph is over 300 metres.

That being said, treadmills are materially different to walking on a paved surface (the latter being the actual test). They have handholds, and are smooth, etc.

The question you should be asking is how much ‘weight’ they should attach to this evidence when comparing it to other evidence. I.e. it comes down to the particularities of your client’s conditions.

This is on the money.

You need to view the reasons as a whole. Walking ability on a treadmill is plainly capable of being probative of walking ability more broadly and the figures given by the tribunal do tend to support its conclusions, but equally there could be considerations which mean that it is not a useful indicator (for example if the claimant exerts themselves considerably in doing their exercises and is exhausted afterwards so that it’s not reliable).

You would expect that the tribunal would take account of any considerations which were raised and address the treadmill evidence in the context of any other evidence of walking ability.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 511

It probably won’t be something this tribunal is faulted for, but I am very dubious about taking literally any claims of things lasting ‘5 minutes’. This seems to me to be the smallest unit of time people generally think in. If traffic lights appear stuck and I’m sitting there like a lemon for 20-30 seconds I think of it in my head as 5 minutes.

I don’t know if they still are, but at one point assessors asked people ‘how many minutes can you walk for’, which was pretty much guaranteed to lead the answer 5 minutes no matter what the limitation.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Very true. I include all of us in this but my general approach is that humans are terrible at both assessing risk, time and distance.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Mr Finch - 17 January 2023 10:41 AM

It probably won’t be something this tribunal is faulted for, but I am very dubious about taking literally any claims of things lasting ‘5 minutes’. This seems to me to be the smallest unit of time people generally think in. If traffic lights appear stuck and I’m sitting there like a lemon for 20-30 seconds I think of it in my head as 5 minutes.

I don’t know if they still are, but at one point assessors asked people ‘how many minutes can you walk for’, which was pretty much guaranteed to lead the answer 5 minutes no matter what the limitation.

Generally very true, but not in this circumstance IMHO. Treadmills have timers, specifically to give measurements for just this purpose.

If I was to, I might argue that a treadmill is an unrealistic comparison to normal walking because people push themselves during exercise, often far past what might be considered an acceptable standard, or even safely.
Surrendering after 5 mins on a treadmill might equate to, say, 2 minutes in day to day activities.
But, again, it comes down to what difficulties this particular client faces.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I use a cross trainer and a 4 or 5 mile walk each day to keep my crumbling L3 to L5 and core strength relatively healthy and as an alternative to the many sessions of physio it took to get me back upright. In the past (and still occasionally) I have used a treadmill as an alternative to the walk and I would say that a tribunal attempting to draw parallels with walking outside of the home are on a sticky wicket.

At my worst the treadmill effectively walked me for 10 minutes i.e. it had to be set at a pace which was within my capabilities at that time and which forced one leg in front of the other but didn’t actually require any exertion from me at all. There is a world of difference between being on a treadmill which propels you and being on a treadmill where you match it or feel stronger than it.

Tim Saint
forum member

Benefits Service Coordinator, Swindon Carers Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 32

The Normal Life Test would be useful to see if the person could repeatedly walk this distance. If they were always a very active person, always pottering about, but can now only do some walking on the treadmill, then they can not repeatedly walk 20/50/200 metres.

I got help about the normal life test on this previous thread.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/18832/