Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

UC non-dependent deduction for son who is in armed forces but returns home on weekends

S Holman
forum member

Welfare Rights, Redcar & Cleveland Council

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Hello
I am struggling to find the answer as to whether a non-dependent deduction would be applied to UC housing costs for a non-dependent son who is living away from home on barracks but returns to the family home on weekends and when on leave.
His Army post is sent to the barracks he is stationed at but other personal correspondence is sent to his home address. He has possessions at his home address and has a bedroom and considers this to be his main home but the majority of his time is spent at barracks.
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2927

There is no hard and fast answer, it really depends on the facts of each case whether the non-dep “normally lives in the accommodation” with the claimant.  When I have discussed this with parents in similar cases, they have invariably expressed a view that their son/daughter lives with them and goes away to work on the base, for what it’s worth.

It’s a lot like the perennial FAQ about students away at Uni.

S Holman
forum member

Welfare Rights, Redcar & Cleveland Council

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Thank you for your response.
It is as I thought. I will speak to his parents again and establish if it is worth pushing the argument that he spends the majority of time sleeping at the base and has to financially pay for this accommodation from his salary.
I am not sure if we were successful with this argument if it would then create an under-occupancy charge and not be worth the argument.