to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Reduced salary whilst off sick & ESA. Also, disabled bus pass

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

My client has been unable to work for many months due to mental health problems. He was working 35 hours per week but from October is now on reduced pay. He is under 60 years and receives approx £1000 per month salary, which includes SSP of £85.15. In addition, in October he was awarded Contribution based Employment Support Allowance of £77 per week. Universal Credit have said they will deduct the ESA from any award. He also receives partial housing benefit, as he lives in supported/sheltered housing.

I don’t think is all correct - can anyone explain? He received one payment of UC but nothing else.

He is also finding it difficult to meet the cost of bus fares to frequent visits to support groups. I will try for a disabled person’s travel card and see if any of the visits are ‘NHS’ fares, but is there any other help available? PIP is being applied for and a discretionary housing payment for the drop in housing benefit.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

personal allowance pre WCA is 330 a month, plus housing costs.
He appears to have 1300 a month income, which will massively affect his benefit entitlement
depends on LHA rates i suppose…...
PIP and DHP claimable, and see if local authority have any local support schemes.

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

benefitsadviser - 07 December 2022 12:51 PM

personal allowance pre WCA is 330 a month, plus housing costs.
He appears to have 1300 a month income, which will massively affect his benefit entitlement
depends on LHA rates i suppose…...
PIP and DHP claimable, and see if local authority have any local support schemes.

Thank you for your reply

Could the ESA/UC payment be a mistake?

Ruth_T
forum member

Volunteer adviser - Corby Borough Welfare Rights & CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 313

How is it possible to receive both ESA and SSP?  ESA claimants in employment are required to submit a form SSP1 declaring that they are not/no longer receiving SSP.

Disabled persons’ bus passes are issued by the local authority.  Follow the links from https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass  to find out the relevant LA and their criteria.