to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Housing Benefit and Temporary Absent

Shell Dent
forum member

Karbon Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 34

I have a client who has been in a medical facility for just over 52 weeks ...

Hb has ceased on the 52 week mark .... Client has returned home but only during the day - As far as I am aware he has not stayed overnight there

The information I can see suggests
“The DWP suggests that a stay at home lasting only a few hours may not break the absence but one that lasts 24 hours may do so.”

Help!

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 618

The guidance does not have the force of law

It is a matter of fact and degree and you might find some mileage from paragaph 10 of CB v Liverpool City Council (HB)[2015] UKUT 0359 (AAC)

10. It is plain that the claimant’s home remained her home during her imprisonment in the sense that, as required by regulation 7(1), it was the dwelling normally occupied as her home.  However, that general rule only applies subject to the following provisions of that regulation, and it is plain that if a person is personally absent temporarily from the dwelling then that person must bring him or herself within one of the subsequent provisions of the regulation.  It is also plain that, on the finding of the tribunal, the claimant did return to her home and use it as such so far as she was able consistently with the terms of the curfew from the date of her release.  She was therefore no longer absent from it from that date onwards even though she was prohibited from sleeping there at night

[ Edited: 19 May 2023 at 10:36 am by Stainsby ]