Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

is deduction for HB water and service costs

joanie
forum member

wr caseworker, camden community law centre

Send message

Total Posts: 3

hi,

Client is in arrears of £320 rent £98 pw.  hence has less than 4 weeks rent arrears but wants deductions set up (she gets full hb – the problem is she can’t manage her money well and doesn’t pay her water charge which is in with her rent). I thought that there was a catch all clause in the regs which said that even if your rent arrears are low you can get deductions if it is your best interests but the only bit I can find in the regulations is this….

(c) [46unless sub-paragraph (1A) applies,] he or his partner has arrears of rent which equal or exceed four times the full weekly rent payable and–

(i) there are arrears of rent in respect of at least 8 weeks and the landlord has requested the Secretary of State to make payments in accordance with this paragraph; or

(ii) there are arrears of rent in respect of less than 8 weeks and in the opinion of the [26Secretary of State] it is in the overriding interests of the family that payments shall be made in accordance with this paragraph.

…which still seems to be saying you have to have at least 4 weeks arrears. I have also looked at CPAG online but that sends me back round in the regs.