to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

SDP applied for, will take 5 weeks, client needs to claim UC

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

The client is on ESA-ir and has not been getting an SDP due to living with father. She’s moved, lives on her own, no-one getting CA so qualifies for the SDP and has asked ESA to add it. Which they say will take 5 weeks.

She needs to get on with a UC claim as she now has housing costs. If she claims UC now, how easy or otherwise is it to get the compensation element added to her UC claim later down the line?

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

It is possible, and I had a case where this worked, but I wouldn’t say it was easy, as such.

To be fair to UC, there was a technical disagreement about whether SDP entitlement had retrospectively been in place at all in my case, but their decision making powers were up to speed to realise the issue was there, and to add the additional element once the matter had been settled (appeal papers produced before decision revised).

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

ROBBO - 10 November 2022 12:51 PM

It is possible, and I had a case where this worked, but I wouldn’t say it was easy, as such.

To be fair to UC, there was a technical disagreement about whether SDP entitlement had retrospectively been in place at all in my case, but their decision making powers were up to speed to realise the issue was there, and to add the additional element once the matter had been settled (appeal papers produced before decision revised).

Thanks for this. I don’t expect anything to be easy with UC! Just don’t want her running up rent arrears by delaying the UC claim even further.