to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

SMI, working and UC

davidsmithp1000
forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 195

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/money-advice-trust-calls-on-government-to-urgently-reduce-waiting-period-for-support-for-mortgage-interest-from-39-to-13-weeks

Couldn’t agree more

But have we got to the bottom of whether you can earn anything on UC while you wait, without it resetting the timer?

Any case law?

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

Positive news from Budget on SMI:

“Reforming Support for Mortgage Interest - To support mortgage borrowers with rising interest rates, the government will allow those on UC to apply for a loan to help with interest repayments after three months, instead of nine. The government will also abolish the zero earnings rule to allow claimants to continue receiving support while in work and on UC. This will come into effect in Spring 2023.”

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2009

This really will need a take-up campaign.  I’ll update our reckoner which generates a cost / benefit display of the results.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 622

Don’t know of any case law but a Tribunal accepted my argument that receiving earnings during the waiting period does not reset the clock

I have attached the written argument I put to the Tribunal

File Attachments

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 622

I seem to recall that there were moves to allow SMI paymnts from day 1 for the terminally ill or did I just imagine it?

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 561

I agree with Stainsby. I don’t see how the regulations can be interpreted to say that earnings in the middle of the 9 month reset the clock.