Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP ended - Failure to return while in prison

Cobi30
forum member

Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 35

Hello,

I have just started working with a client who had been in and out or prison over the last year.

They were in receipt of PIP when they first went into prison, and obviously payments ended while they were in prison. After each time they were released, it didn’t take very long for them to get sentenced again, however after the most recent release it seems like things have stabilised, so they started to try and get all their benefits sorted.

They called PIP and were able to provide all the dates they were in and out, and I believe they received a payment for some of the periods where they were out of prison. However, they were told that their PIP couldn’t be reinstated, as the award had actually ended back in September 2021.

I have just called PIP up and they explained that the awarded ended, due to a failure to return the PIP review form - and so even though the clients actually PIP end date was supposed to be May 2022 - this failure to return the PIP review has superseded the end date of the award and so their claim was closed then.

However, during this time in 2021 when PIP sent out the review form and the reminder letters, the client was in prison - so there was no way they could return the PIP review form.

Basically I am wondering, should I request an MR for failure to return the review form back in 2021? Or is there no point, as their PIP end date has already passed anyway now… and I should just focus on making a new claim as soon as possible.