to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Carers Allowance and Income Support stopped

BakerK
forum member

Financial Inclusion - Housing Landlord Services, BCP Council

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Please can anyone help with this enquiry. I am not sure whether DWP has made an error?

I have a client who had claimed Carers Allowance and Income Support from 2006 and stopped two years ago

When the person he provided care for reached state pension age two years ago, the claim for Carers Allowance and Income Support stopped. He was advised he could no longer claim. The person who he cares for claims PIP and there has been no break in claiming. The client also claims PIP

The client had not worked prior to both benefits stopping and for the last two years when he has not been in receipt of these benefits. He has not applied for UC. He is relying solely on his PIP claim for income. He lives with the person he cares for so does not have a rent liability so no HB being claimed.

I have advised him to phone Carers Allowance to discuss with them about making or reinstating the claim prior to claiming UC. I am wondering whether the Carers Allowance can be reinstated as well as the Income Support if this is an error

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

I had a similar case and it transpired that although PIP was continuous there was a gap, as PIP renewal form was sent back late, good cause accepted, and until that was decided, CA stopped. CA had to be then reclaimed when PIP was reinstated.

BakerK
forum member

Financial Inclusion - Housing Landlord Services, BCP Council

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Thanks for this information. Interesting

If my client has similar circumstances i assume CA cannot be backdated any time over 3 months when making a claim
The UC route will have to be taken to top up then

roecab
forum member

Welfare benefits supervisor - Roehampton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 465

That would be my understanding.

Good luck with it.