Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Exemption from vehicle tax based on an award of the Enhance rate of the PIP Mobility component

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1020

Client wants to know if she can get a refund on previous years road tax paid as a result of a recent appeal hearing award.

Looked at various sources but can’t find an answer?

I live life in the bus lane, so any help would be really appreciated.

forum member

Send message

Looked at the legislation including Section 19, but my ignorance of all things cars is such that…......so if anyone…........that would be amazing.

In return happy to help with advice on buses e.g. Number 30 from Axminister to Taunton (very scenic) to join up with the number 54 (vernacular architecture) from Taunton to Yeovil.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/contents

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/section/19

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 293

I don’t know the answer but would be interested to find out.

Just looking at the legislation (Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994) there isn’t a direct answer. The argument that your client should be able to get your money back is obvious: if DWP had made the right decision they wouldn’t have had to pay the tax. The counter-argument would come from the wording of Schedule 2 paragraph 19, which says that the person has to be “in receipt of” PIP. Your client will get the PIP arrears as a lump sum but at the relevant time they would not have been “in receipt of” PIP. The legislation does, however, contemplate the possibility of overpayments, because there is a 12-month time limit on recovery - see section 50.

Seems to me it’s a case of giving it a try with DVLA

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 473

Hearsay only I’m afraid but when I contacted DVLA about getting the 50% refund (a bizarrely complex process) I was told they would refund back to the year I was awarded PIP. I haven’t actually done it yet so can’t confirm it works. But it’s definitely worth trying.

forum member

Send message

Thanks Paul and Rosie for the responses I am really really grateful, anecdotal or otherwise.

Will get back with a response on this.

forum member

Send message

Client advised it was backdated with little fuss involved.