Retrospective medical evidence R(IS) 8/93 for LCW/LCWRA

< 1 2

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 01 March 2023 05:40 PM

That’s a fair point Elliot, wasn’t quite what I had envisaged either, but had been in the back of my mind that something like that may crop up. I’m open to any suggestions and advice regarding this, so feel free to weigh in.

The Judge advised that limited to a fit note stating just a diagnosis and without a medical panel member, she felt she couldn’t make a decision for the period 2018 - 2020 as regards to LCWRA.

I suppose the point is that the Judge isn’t being asked to actually decide anything substantive about LCWRA - that was already done by the DWP. It’s just a function of setting the effective date which is determined by law.

We used to have cases crop up now and then when someone had waited 5-6 years for an ESA WCA to be conducted usually as a result of some admin error somewhere. When the issue got resolved, the relevant rates would be backdated to 13 weeks from the start of the award, which was the end of the assessment phase. The fact that their health may have changed substantially over the years didn’t matter - it was just the position at the date of the assessment which mattered. It is the same for UC.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1015

Elliot Kent - 01 March 2023 06:01 PM
Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District - 01 March 2023 05:40 PM

That’s a fair point Elliot, wasn’t quite what I had envisaged either, but had been in the back of my mind that something like that may crop up. I’m open to any suggestions and advice regarding this, so feel free to weigh in.

The Judge advised that limited to a fit note stating just a diagnosis and without a medical panel member, she felt she couldn’t make a decision for the period 2018 - 2020 as regards to LCWRA.

I suppose the point is that the Judge isn’t being asked to actually decide anything substantive about LCWRA - that was already done by the DWP. It’s just a function of setting the effective date which is determined by law.

We used to have cases crop up now and then when someone had waited 5-6 years for an ESA WCA to be conducted usually as a result of some admin error somewhere. When the issue got resolved, the relevant rates would be backdated to 13 weeks from the start of the award, which was the end of the assessment phase. The fact that their health may have changed substantially over the years didn’t matter - it was just the position at the date of the assessment which mattered. It is the same for UC.

Funnily enough Elliot we did raise WCA’s long waiting periods and etc etc eventual decision. That said thanks for the umpteen time i.e. invaluable help as per always.

Your post crystalised our thinking and galvanised whatever…...... chatted to client and….....

Anyway, we have applied for another direction to amend the first direction https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2685/article/6 i.e. see your points above.

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1015

Big thanks as per usual Elliot etc etc directions set aside.