to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Discovery phase in Northumberland

keith
forum member

Principal WRO - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 69

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/dwp-to-invite-250-legacy-benefit-claimants-in-northumberland-to-move-to-universal-credit-from-mid-september-2022

A little more detail about what’s happening in Northumberland. 250 people in total across two Jobcentres, Hexham and Berwick. These two Jobcentres are in the constituencies of Guy Opperman (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Pensions and Financial Inclusion) and Anne-Marie Trevelyan (Secretary of State for International Trade).

Notices will be sent during a two week window from 12/09/2022.

“...the migration notices will be issued to a cohort of Tax Credit claimants only (these will be individuals claiming Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit).”

From our perspective it’s positive that disabled ESA claimants will not be moved onto UC in the immediate future. A disabled ESA claimant who is invited to migrate before the April 2023 uprating will lose a large amount of their transitional protection following the 2023-24 uprating, assuming there will be uprating in line with September’s (expected to be high) CPI rate of course.

WillH
forum member

Locum adviser - CPAG in Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 370

Thanks Keith. That’s a very good point about next April’s uprating. Let’s hope things don’t ramp up too quickly before then.

keith
forum member

Send message

Yes Will, I’d like to think anyone involved will consider the impact of inflation on transitional protection for disabled ESA claimants in discussions about the Discovery Phase.

Carri
forum member

CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 52

Hi Keith - CPAG now has funding for a managed migration policy project to run over the next 16ish months.
I’d be very grateful to hear about any cases you have now seen and what kind of issues they involved. Tried messaging but I think your RN inbox might be full. My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Appreciate it’s a busy time but it would be really helpful to hear from you. Thanks

keith
forum member

Send message

Carri - 11 January 2023 11:49 AM

Hi Keith - CPAG now has funding for a managed migration policy project to run over the next 16ish months.
I’d be very grateful to hear about any cases you have now seen and what kind of issues they involved. Tried messaging but I think your RN inbox might be full. My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Appreciate it’s a busy time but it would be really helpful to hear from you. Thanks

Hi Carri, we haven’t had any enquiries but I’m not too surprised by that because we work mainly with adult social care clients and any legacy benefit claimants amongst them are likely to be on ESA and would be excluded from Northumberland’s Tax Credit only Discovery Phase. I did check with our Citizens Advice just before Christmas and they hadn’t seen any either. I asked our DWP Partnership manager if all the letters had gone out in September 2022 as planned and they replied to say “all the letters were sent out as planned” - whether the plan changed from the announced 250 to a different amount is something I didn’t ask.

Now I’ll go and have a look at my RN inbox…

Carri
forum member

CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 52

Thanks Keith, much appreciated.

keith - 11 January 2023 12:33 PM

Now I’ll go and have a look at my RN inbox…

I got your message, but when I tried to reply, I got:
The inboxes for the following members are currently full, and to send this message you must remove them from your Recipients or CC fields: Keith