Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Legacy benefit loss in transition - any other options??

ejm30
forum member

Community Team - Hospice Devon

Send message

Total Posts: 7

Client in receipt of ESA (Enhanced) approx £816 pm
Also PIP Standard for mobility and standard care.

Very sadly, he has to move into privately rented accommodation due to the death of a relative with whom he lived.

He has managed to retain legacy benefits until now - claiming Universal Credit for the housing allowance for the new rental means that he loses monies.

Is there any way around this at all?
I am aware that this is a well known issue but don’t want to advise to make a new claim for UC unless there is a way of claiming HB .
Many thanks in advance

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

If he was to become homeless and allocated temporary accommodation he could claim HB for that, and subsequently keep that HB claim going (provided his new permanent home is within the same LA).

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3168

If he was getting HB and has moved within the council area, then his HB award could continue and it would just be a change of address. I am guessing this is not the case as he was living with a relative who died.

Or if he is in supported or temporary accommodation, he can claim HB.

Otherwise;

There was a rule that people who were getting the Severe Disability Premium could still make new claims for legacy benefits, but this came to an end about 18 months ago.

It sounds like your client is getting ESA with the support component, enhanced disability premium and severe disability premium for £204.75 per week - which I make at £887.25 per month.

If he went over to UC, he would get the standard allowance, LCWRA element and compensation for the loss of SDP of £120 per month initially making £809.19 per month (excluding housing costs).

So there is a loss of £78.06 per month at least in terms of what he will have in his pocket.

But in practical terms, he will be better off claiming UC and therefore getting something towards his rent than the only other option, which is to remain just on ESA and get nothing towards his rent.

ejm30
forum member

Send message

Am not sure becoming homeless and living in b+b is quite the answer.. but thank you.
I just wanted to ensure that I have understood the implications of applying for UC
Many thanks

ejm30
forum member

Send message

Many thanks - really helpful advice. Greatly appreciated