Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Carers Allowance - possible fraud

1 2 > 

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Has anyone got a copy of an old Carers Allowance claim form?  I’m looking to ascertain the precise date that the provision on the form asking for the disabled person to sign their agreement (I don’t think that I dreamt it was once there - did I?) to the claim being made was removed, which I’m hoping was no earlier than May - December 2020.  I have an ESA appeal coming up for backdated SDP and I’m looking to establish that the CA claim was fraudulently claimed without my client’s knowledge or consent (she states that no-one in fact provides care for her).

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 236

You didn’t dream it.  The attached is the relevant couple of pages from the form dated 09/15 - the most recent one in our stocks.

File Attachments

nevip
forum member

Send message

Thank you Helen.  That’s really useful.  What I need now is the date it was removed.  The CA claim we are alleging was fraudulently made was March 2020.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

I can’t find the form but the 04/20 version of the guidance notes to accompany the form state
“Please note there is a change to the request in this form at Part 10:
Statement for the person you provide care for to complete.
To maintain social distancing measures during the current outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19), the disabled person or their appointee does not need to complete or sign Part 10 of this form.”

See https://web.archive.org/web/20200508043107/https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/883041/ds700-notes-carers-allowance-form.pdf

This version is, of course, just after the date of the claim you refer to and implies that the change was only made in April 2020.

[ Edited: 22 Sep 2021 at 12:08 pm by Ianb ]
nevip
forum member

Send message

Thank you Ianb but our firewall won’t let me open that link.  I’ve just re-checked the papers and the CA went into payment on 30/12/19, so the claim was made just before that date.

[ Edited: 22 Sep 2021 at 12:53 pm by nevip ]
BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Why not set out your thinking to the judge and ask for a direction requiring the DWP to inform the tribunal of whether your client did in fact sign the CA form and at the very least provide a copy of her supposed signature if it says she did?

nevip
forum member

Send message

BC Welfare Rights - 22 September 2021 03:14 PM

Why not set out your thinking to the judge and ask for a direction requiring the DWP to inform the tribunal of whether your client did in fact sign the CA form and at the very least provide a copy of her supposed signature if it says she did?

The CA unit instigated a fraud investigation triggered by our initial intervention.  I’ve already sent a detailed letter to the DWP requesting their findings and conclusions.  When I received no response I then requested a judge’s direction. 

That was refused, (possibly on the grounds that the results of that investigation might have been the subject of separate legal proceedings), and that the matter was an issue for the tribunal judge at the hearing.  I am currently in the middle of preparing a submission to the tribunal on all legal issues raised by the appeal, hence my request to get further info’ on the history of the changing format of the CA claim form.

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Fair enough. Beyond the link posted by Ian I can’t see much from the archives. The form history on gov.uk gives the following updates to the DS700, none of which specifically answers your question:

Published 1 April 2013
Last updated 17 September 2021 - hide all updates
17 September 2021
Added information about EU and Scottish devolution to English and Welsh notes.

15 January 2021
Updated Carer’s Allowance claim forms and notes to December 2020 versions.

31 December 2020
Added updated versions of the State Pension claim form and notes.

23 September 2020
Updated Carer’s Allowance claim form (to fill in on screen – and then print).

25 August 2020
Edited Carers Allowance DS700 form in English and Welsh and added interactive version of the form in English.

19 August 2020
Revised Welsh Carer’s Allowance claim form and notes.

4 May 2020
Published updated claim notes with information related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. The updated information is on page 1 of the notes (English and Welsh).

6 April 2020
Updated Carer’s Allowance claim forms and notes in English and Welsh.

10 October 2019
Added updated Welsh claim forms ‘Carer’s Allowance claim form (to print and fill in with a pen)’ and ‘If you get a State Pension: Carer’s Allowance claim form (to print and fill in with a pen)’.

4 April 2019
Replaced forms and notes with updated versions, following an increase in the permitted earnings for Carer’s Allowance from 1 April 2019.

3 October 2018
Added updated claim forms and notes in English and Welsh. The phone numbers have been updated to the 0800 freephone number and the permitted earnings amount has been updated to match the 2018 to 2019 rate.

2 February 2018
Added revised DS700 Carer’s Allowance and State Pension notes - Carer’s Allowance earnings limit is £116 a week. The Welsh versions will be updated in due course.

19 May 2016
Replaced all Carer’s Allowance DS700 forms and notes with updated versions.

15 June 2015
Added latest versions - April 2015.

27 January 2014
Added latest versions.

1 April 2013
First published.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

nevip - 22 September 2021 12:49 PM

Thank you Ianb but our firewall won’t let me open that link.  I’ve just re-checked the papers and the CA went into payment on 30/12/19, so the claim was made just before that date.

Can you access the attached

File Attachments

nevip
forum member

Send message

Yes I can. From home.  I’ll let you know if I still can when I’m back in the office.  Thank you Ianb

[ Edited: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:12 pm by nevip ]
nevip
forum member

Send message

BC Welfare Rights - 22 September 2021 05:24 PM

Fair enough. Beyond the link posted by Ian I can’t see much from the archives. The form history on gov.uk gives the following updates to the DS700, none of which specifically answers your question:

Published 1 April 2013
17 September 2021

15 January 2021

31 December 2020

23 September 2020

25 August 2020
Edited Carers Allowance DS700 form in English and Welsh and added interactive version of the form in English.

19 August 2020

4 May 2020
Published updated claim notes with information related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. The updated information is on page 1 of the notes (English and Welsh).

6 April 2020

10 October 2019
Added updated Welsh claim forms ‘Carer’s Allowance claim form (to print and fill in with a pen)’ and ‘If you get a State Pension: Carer’s Allowance claim form (to print and fill in with a pen)’.

4 April 2019
Replaced forms and notes with updated versions, following an increase in the permitted earnings for Carer’s Allowance from 1 April 2019.

3 October 2018
Added updated claim forms and notes in English and Welsh. The phone numbers have been updated to the 0800 freephone number and the permitted earnings amount has been updated to match the 2018 to 2019 rate.

2 February 2018
Added revised DS700 Carer’s Allowance and State Pension notes - Carer’s Allowance earnings limit is £116 a week. The Welsh versions will be updated in due course.

19 May 2016

15 June 2015

27 January 2014
Added latest versions.

1 April 2013
First published.

That could be helpful.  Have you got a link for them, particularly the October 2019 one?

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 125

Could the claimant have asked for a 3 month back date, and the timing fitted with the requirement to no longer have a signature?

nevip
forum member

Send message

nevip - 22 September 2021 09:53 PM

Yes I can. From home.  I’ll let you know if I still can when I’m back in the office.  Thank you Ianb

In office.  Opened it.  Thanks Ian

nevip
forum member

Send message

juliem - 23 September 2021 08:18 AM

Could the claimant have asked for a 3 month back date, and the timing fitted with the requirement to no longer have a signature?

I hadn’t thought of that.  I’ll factor that in.  Thanks Julie

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

nevip - 22 September 2021 09:55 PM
BC Welfare Rights - 22 September 2021 05:24 PM

Published 1 April 2013
17 September 2021

15 January 2021

31 December 2020

23 September 2020

25 August 2020

19 August 2020

4 May 2020

6 April 2020

10 October 2019

4 April 2019

3 October 2018

2 February 2018

19 May 2016

15 June 2015

27 January 2014
Added latest versions.

1 April 2013
First published.

That could be helpful.  Have you got a link for them, particularly the October 2019 one?

This should work I hope Paul Click on show all updates link.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carers-allowance-claim-form#history

nevip
forum member

Send message

Thanks Paul

I can open the link, but I still don’t have sight of the October 2019 version of the form.  I can now be almost certain (particularly after Julie’s point) that the claim was made between the beginning of November 2019 and the end of March 2020, so all I need now is the October 2019 version of the form.