Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

expedited appeals

Dan Manville
forum member

Greater Manchester Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 470

Hi all

In the current CTS administration is it a Judge or a registrar/caseworker that’s making the decision to expedite an appeal?

I might have someone who needs expediting and I’m wondering whether the time it takes to get a decision on expedition might simply be a delay where it’s not getting listed.

TIA

Paul Stockton
forum member

Epping Forest CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 292

In my limited experience the decision is made by a judge, and quite quickly, but it can take quite a while for HMCTS to actually list the case. In the most recent case I dealt with the client applied for expedition on 4 March, got a decision on 15 March, but the case isn’t listed until 11 June.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Shouldn’t be any delays in the North West Dan as officially there is no longer a backlog. The issue seems to be that because there’s an obligation to give FT judges x number of days pcm they are getting first shout and fee paid judges are barely being used. If you shout loud enough about expedition there’s no reason I know of why they can’t get an 01 fee paid in along with colleagues as a one off for a telephone/video hearing.

Lynsey
forum member

Lawyer, CPAG

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Hi Dan, I met with the Chamber President last year to discuss expedited appeals. She confirmed that the expedition request is considered by a judge sitting alone and should be done within 1-2 days. If you send the request by e-mail, put something in the subject like “To be considered by a judge - expedition request”. Because of the volume of e-mails they receive, the subject needs to make it clear that it is something for a judge so that it can be spotted and pulled out quickly.

There is also a Welfare Rights Bulletin article on expedition here: https://askcpag.org.uk/?id=205242&fromsearch=true#iosfirsthighlight