to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Interest paid on Mortgage

Aisha
forum member

Housing services - Trust Housing Association, Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hi i have a client who is looking to move to sheltered accommodation but he has his own property and still has an outstanding mortgage which the pension service is paying the interest on. His dilemma is if he moves to the sheltered accommodation and puts the house on the market, i know he will get HB and CTB but will the Pension Service continue to pay his mortgage until his property is sold? I think the mortgage payments wont continue as this wont be his permanent home anymore, but can someone just clarify that for me?
thanks
Aisha

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Aisha - 18 July 2011 01:50 PM

i know he will get HB and CTB but will the Pension Service continue to pay his mortgage until his property is sold? I think the mortgage payments wont continue as this wont be his permanent home anymore, but can someone just clarify that for me?

As he no longer has housing costs for the property then I think the payments will stop. Like you said, for HB/CTB. it should not be a problem for at least 26 weeks or a reasonable period in order to sell the property as long as the claimant shows that it’s reasonable.