to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

When did ...

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

... Looked everywhere for this but when did child support become fully disregarded for IS and HB / CTB purposes, I think it’s April and October 2008 respectively, and prior to this £20.00 was disregarded for IS and £25.00 for HB / CTB ?
If anyone could confirm this ... or correct me, thank you !

Kevin D
forum member

Independent HB/CTB administrator, consultant & trainer (Essex)

Send message

Total Posts: 474

Michyblue - 06 July 2011 02:38 PM

... Looked everywhere for this but when did child support become fully disregarded for IS and HB / CTB purposes, I think it’s April and October 2008 respectively, and prior to this £20.00 was disregarded for IS and £25.00 for HB / CTB ?
If anyone could confirm this ... or correct me, thank you !

Specifically HB/CTB.  I agree with the date cited by Tony.  However, to the best of my recollection, that amount disregarded for HB/CTB was £15.00, not £25, and it expressly depended on the award of the family premium.

Since Oct 2008, for HB/CTB, the maintenance disregards work like this:

1)  100% for any maintenance in respect of a child or young person who is a member of the claimant’s family (excluding payments made by the claimant or by the claimant’s (current) partner - the work “current” is my emphasis).

2)  £15 per week max in respect of maintenance that ISN’T for a child or young person but where the family premium has nevertheless been awarded.

3)  No disregard at all if none of the above applies.

The effect of “1” & “2” could lead to a split assessment of maintenance.  For example, say maintenance of £100 includes child maintenance of £75 and £25 for non child maintenance.  £75 is disregarded in full but only £15 of the £25 is disregarded (assuming the other criteria are met).

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

For income support the full disregard of CSM started on 12 April 2010 (see reg 2(17)(d) of ...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/2655/pdfs/uksi_20092655_en.pdf

which substed a new Sched 9 para 73 IS regs )

(Tony - are you looking at charitable/voluntary payments?)

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Gives an entirely new meaning to the phrase"virtually unable to walk” I can tell ya.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

nevip - 07 July 2011 12:40 PM

Gives an entirely new meaning to the phrase"virtually unable to walk” I can tell ya.

I once had an alcoholic client who answered that question with “sometimes”.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Priceless!!