to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC phone claims

JD WBU
forum member

Welfare Benefits Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 3

We have had a report of a claimant needing to make multiple calls to the UC Helpline in order to make a telephone claim. The claimant was variously told that the only way to make a telephone claim would be
-if the call handler took the details and asked a case manager to phone the claimant back, which could take up to four weeks and the claim would only start from the date of the callback
-by calling the Help to Claim scheme as this was now the *only* way to make a telephone claim

Luckily Help to Claim was indeed able to help in this instance. Has anyone else experienced problems making telephone claims recently?

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 205

Hi,

Yes we’ve had similar problems. It appears that DWP are extremely reluctant to do any claims over the phone with some even outright rejecting them over the phone.

We have either had to complete them online for the client or have rang the Helpline a couple of times to speak to a different adviser

Mairi
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Dunedin Canmore Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 274

Yes I’ve had difficulty with this.  ‘We’ll take the details and phone them back’ - and then they don’t and there’s no record of the initial call.  Except there usually is a record, you’ve just got to push for it.

I’ve got a couple of mandatory reconsideration requests in asking for telephone claims to be backdated to the date that I assisted with the initial telephone calls as fortunately I have a record of the calls (and in the second case I noted the times of the calls as well as the dates).

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1013

See attached DWP guidance (I know I know I know), in case you haven’t seen it…........

File Attachments

SJN of CAS
forum member

Client Affairs Service Hampshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 4

I’ve a client in this position, they’ve no other income besides PIP and I’ve called 5 or so times now to explain that as we’re corporate appointee use of the journal is out of the question at any point and we therefore need to make a phone claim.  Each time I’ve been told we’d get a call back from a Case Manager in 24 hours but no call back has been received, thus delaying the start of the claim and the assessment period.  I’ve today been explicit on that last point, and can only hope it’s enough to prompt them to action this (though as colleagues are having similar issues I’m not entirely hopeful)