to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

DHP and recourse to public funds

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

I’m doing a claim for a DHP for one of my clients, whose partner has “no recourse to public funds”. As the DHP (to cover one additional bedroom) would be the same whether he is there or not, I feel safe that he cannot be considered to have had recourse to public funds through her application. However, I did notice that it is not in any case listed as a “public fund”.  Does this mean that in fact it is not a public fund, or could it be regarded as a kind of Housing Benefit payment/

DebbieS
forum member

Reading Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 41

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Thanks very much, Debbie.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

was working from home, using an old edition of CPAG!

Billy
forum member

Welfare rights - Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Hi i dont think page 6 refers to DHPs but the old Social Fund.
As you know in order to get DHP you must be entitled to HB or UCHE which are public funds.

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

That’s interesting Billly, I can see now it is aimed at the replacement of the old social Funds. . As you say, the necessity to have a claim for UC or HB wouid rule out anyone claiming in their own right anyway. We will still have cases where the partner who does have recourse to public funds and can make a claim which would give her/him the same amount of money as they would get if single.  But in that case whether DHPs are defined as public funds is irrelevant.