to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

MAC and HB

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Question in CAB training pack, sounds wrong to me, am I missing something?
MAC on HB and PC move to another property, answer says they have to claim UC and can’t make a claim for HB in new property.  My understanding is they can..

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

My understanding is that if they move within the same local authority area they can remain on HB as that’s a change of circumstances but if they move out of their current local authorities area then it would be UC as that would require a new claim for HB.

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 227

They can, regardless of same or new local authority as they are protected by an existing Pension Credit claim and therefore can make a new claim for Housing Benefit.

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

That’s what I thought but couldn’t find a specific example to back that up whereas having a pension age HB claim clearly allows you to then make a claim for PC

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3550

it’s article 4 of the commencement order

Also see example 1 in HB Circular A3/2019

[ Edited: 15 Apr 2020 at 02:42 pm by Daphne ]
Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3214

That is very worrying to hear and I hope you can contact someone to get this changed as soon as possible Maggie.

We’ve had one case where MAC were badly advised by a local Cit A in exactly this situation and they’ve not been able to reverse the mistake.

To be clear, this is in the guidance circular A3/2019 Mixed age couples: changes to entitlement conditions from 15 May 2019

Example 1 – New claim from a mixed age couple on or after 15 May 2019
The claimant and partner have been continuously entitled to Pension Credit and pension age Housing Benefit since December 2018. The claimant and their partner move to a new address in a new local authority (LA) area so their current Housing Benefit claim closes. As they were entitled to Pension Credit on 14 May 2019 and continue to be entitled to it they are able to make a new claim for pension age Housing Benefit.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3550

Snap! :)

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3214

Daphne - 15 April 2020 02:43 PM

Snap! :)

All that yoga is keeping my brain sharp ;-)