Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

Is ESA claimant still eligible for help under the Coronavirus Self-Employment Income Scheme? 

Simon Dally
forum member

Welfare benefits team - Manchester District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 13

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help with this.

My client has been self employed for a number of years and is likely to be eligible to apply for a grant under the Coronavirus Self-Employment Income Scheme. However he has been advised by his GP to self isolate for the next 12 weeks, due to the fact that he is vulnerable because of his health condition. This means that he will not be able to work.

So if he applies for new style ESA now on the basis that he cannot work due to increased risk as a result of his health condition, will he still be eligible to apply for the grant in June this year?

It states on gov.uk that a self employed person can apply “if are trading when you apply, or would be except for COVID-19”. So I think that he may be eligible on the basis that he would be trading when he applied, were it not for the fact that he was self isolating due to COVID-19. But I’m not sure if that is correct or if the scheme is only aimed at self employed people who are not able to work for economic reasons cause by the pandemic.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

I think that the only advice I can give is for him to contact HMRC to ask if he will be eligible.

Any ideas?

Tom Messere
forum member

Big Book of Benefits

Send message

Total Posts: 19

A very late reply, in passing.

There is another thread on this and other SEISS benefit issues where this issue is discussed : https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15955/

But yes I think you are right - it’s trading rather than earning as the point is to help businesses who may have little or no work coming in. Letters are out inviting people to check their eligibility , so will be interesting to try this out for meself 😊

Simon Dally
forum member

Welfare benefits team - Manchester District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 13

Thanks for this Tom.

It’s still not clear, is it, but hopefully my client was eligible for the SEISS. If I find out, I will update this thread!

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Simon Dally - 03 April 2020 11:54 AM

..So if he applies for new style ESA now on the basis that he cannot work due to increased risk as a result of his health condition, will he still be eligible to apply for the grant in June this year?

It states on gov.uk that a self employed person can apply “if are trading when you apply, or would be except for COVID-19”. So I think that he may be eligible on the basis that he would be trading when he applied, were it not for the fact that he was self isolating due to COVID-19. But I’m not sure if that is correct or if the scheme is only aimed at self employed people who are not able to work for economic reasons cause by the pandemic.

This page stares specifically that people are eligible for SEISS if they are shielding https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

Obviously this is subject to meeting the other economic tests.