to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

impact of furlough workers payment on those doing permitted work

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

this has came up for me today..hopefully disregarded as would be sensible but lbe great if it could be specifically considered.

if anyone here has any influence in the design of this it would be great if this could be one of the many issues considered.

CHAC Adviser
forum member

Caseworker - CHAC, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 260

I’m probably being dense but it wouldn’t have an impact would it? The employer pays the employee as normal (just at 80% of their wages) and then claims back that payment from HMRC. From the point of view of the employee nothing changes other than a pay cut (unless the employer makes up the difference)?

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

CHAC Adviser - 25 March 2020 12:46 PM

I’m probably being dense but it wouldn’t have an impact would it? The employer pays the employee as normal (just at 80% of their wages) and then claims back that payment from HMRC. From the point of view of the employee nothing changes other than a pay cut (unless the employer makes up the difference)?

your probably right there but it just occurred to me that this is one of those things that could inadvertently end up a problem depending on how the specifics of the payment are drafted.

how will just calling it wages fit with employment law for example?

I think your right but we have all been here before where unintended consequences arise.