Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

New style ESA and how to claim

< 1 2

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

That’s interesting - is that the addresses listed here - https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/15183/?

Inverclyde HSCP Advice Services
forum member

Inverclyde Council

Send message

Total Posts: 142

Hi Daphne, yes it is, ESA 14

S2uABZ
forum member

Money adviser - Aberdeen City Council Financial Inclusion Team

Send message

Total Posts: 130

Called Universal Credit helpline for nsESA claim, chose option 2, then option 3 as directed, advised to stay on the line…then line goes dead!! :(

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

So at this point in time, despite the attempt to steer to a phone claim, it looks as if the better results are from a paper claim posted to the correct Job Centre and using the Freepost addresses on Daphne’s list?  Is there an argument against doing both?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Guidance just updated by DWP - New-style ESA can now be claimed online !!

[ Edited: 20 Apr 2020 at 06:16 pm by shawn mach ]
SG LB C
forum member

Income Maximisation Team LB Camden

Send message

Total Posts: 46

An update here also. The paper claim we sent to the JC has been received and is being looked at. I sent it with a covering letter and consent setting out why the client could not make the call due to his disability.

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

Daphne - 20 April 2020 09:51 AM

One of the ‘screening’ questions seems to refer to employed NI only.

https://www.apply-new-style-employment-support-allowance.dwp.gov.uk/national-insurance

davenhar
forum member

South Lanarkshire Council

Send message

Total Posts: 4

Hi, I am rather concerned about the signposting to claim UC via the new on-line application process or if you are a UC claimant to simply put a note on your journal. Do we know if this will be treated as a claim for NS-ESA or simply a referral for LCW/LCWRA assessment?

I have had a look at the on-line application and it is not at all clear. This could lead to several claims for UC with the claimant being unaware that UC entitlement is affected by capital/saving, partners income etc whereas NS-ESA is only affected by private/occupational pensions.

In order to safeguard the NS-ESA claim I would suggest that claimants ignore the UC part to allow them to proceed with the claim for New Style ESA. After this is completed they can then claim UC and advise that they have claimed NS-ESA or if they are a current UC claimant notify DWP via their journal that they have claimed NS-ESA.

Thoughts anyone?

File Attachments

MM1235
forum member

Advisory Team, Money Matters, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Also - ESA is backdated up to 3 months on request, if conditions of entitlement met. UC is backdated 1 month at best. That means that for clients who claim after they could/should it may well be advantageous to claim UC even if there is no ongoing financial gain.

Similarly - and setting myself up to fail on this one, in theory the ESA claim should be processed more quickly than UC.

SG LB C
forum member

Income Maximisation Team LB Camden

Send message

Total Posts: 46

I agree. People may not be entitled to UC where they may be entitled to CB ESA.

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

MM1235 - 20 April 2020 01:59 PM

Also - ESA is backdated up to 3 months on request, if conditions of entitlement met. UC is backdated 1 month at best. That means that for clients who claim after they could/should it may well be advantageous to claim UC even if there is no ongoing financial gain.

Similarly - and setting myself up to fail on this one, in theory the ESA claim should be processed more quickly than UC.

I suspect you meant “That means that for clients who claim after they could/should it may well be advantageous to claim ESA even if there is no ongoing financial gain.”

Ianb
forum member

Macmillan benefits team, Citizens Advice Bristol

Send message

Total Posts: 958

Daphne - 20 April 2020 09:51 AM

Amazing how it takes a pandemic to get the simplest of things finally sorted out!