to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Covid-19 issues  →  Thread

NSESA - Claiming process

suethomsondace
forum member

Welfare benefits co-ordinator - Disability Association, Carlisle

Send message

Total Posts: 14

Does anyone have info regarding making a new claim for NSESA in the current circs?  Ordinarily requires an appointment to go over the claim form, but am guessing the changes to face-to-face assessments include this?

Have tried ringing the number to arrange appointment to ask, but keep getting cut off.

Any ideas on what to do with the claim form in this situation? Do we send it?

Many thanks

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3552

I will send an email via the stakeholder’s forum and let you know if any response…

Atif Kaudri
forum member

Maggie's Centre, Oxford

Send message

Total Posts: 12

Thanks Daphne. I was just thinking about this situation.

Kind regards

Atif

suethomsondace
forum member

Send message

Daphne - 17 March 2020 11:34 AM

I will send an email via the stakeholder’s forum and let you know if any response…

Thank you Daphne

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I would have though you just claim online as normal, and JCP should accept it if you self-isolate per the guidance and assume LCW from day 1.

Bit of an unprecedented situation, but I don’t see how else they can deal with it…

suethomsondace
forum member

Send message

Va1der - 17 March 2020 12:01 PM

I would have though you just claim online as normal, and JCP should accept it if you self-isolate per the guidance and assume LCW from day 1.

Bit of an unprecedented situation, but I don’t see how else they can deal with it…

But NSESA isn’t claimed online.  This is regarding a client who wants to make a stand-alone NSESA claim without UC involvement.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

yes the only way currently to hand in the form is at the jobcentre - see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#how-to-claim - there is no postal address!

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Sorry, my bad. For some reason my brain has decided you can claim nsESA online… not the first time I’ve made this mistake.

suethomsondace
forum member

Send message

Va1der - 17 March 2020 12:48 PM

Sorry, my bad. For some reason my brain has decided you can claim nsESA online… not the first time I’ve made this mistake.

No worries, par for the course, especially in present circs!

Atif Kaudri
forum member

Maggie's Centre, Oxford

Send message

Here is the answer to the question from the DWP i.e. in some circumstances the identity check can be done over the phone:

“The general advice for ID appointments is that everyone with an underlying health condition is having ID appointments over the phone.

The underlying health conditions for isolation are

This group includes those who are:

aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
chronic kidney disease
chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
diabetes
problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
those who are pregnant
Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.

People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:

People who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukemia who are at any stage of treatment
People with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)
In addition the self- isolation with regard to being in contact with the virus also apply. When the individual makes their claim and they should report their health conditions as required and review their journal and appointment type for confirmation and if they have any concerns contact the JCP through their journal.”

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

That’s very helpful Atif - thanks. But still doesn’t resolve the problem of how you submit the nsESA claim form?

Atif Kaudri
forum member

Maggie's Centre, Oxford

Send message

You are quite right Daphne. We at Maggie’s have contacted DWP to get an answer as our client group, cancer patients, heavily rely on making claims for NS ESA.

What we need further clarification about is people contacting DWP by phone especially about NS ESA appointments. As recently we have experienced that it is not possible to get through all the time.

I will update when I receive more information.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Me too Atif - waiting on response as well ;)

Atif Kaudri
forum member

Maggie's Centre, Oxford

Send message

We are in unprecedented times and DWP is playing catch up as well.

Hopefully either one of us would get an answer sooner rather than later!

Lisa Reid
forum member

Money Advice and Rights Team - ERC

Send message

Total Posts: 6

Our local JCP responded to an email this morning to advise me that my client (who is DS1500) should call 0800 328 5644 and the claim would be taken over the phone and they will then arrange a further telephone appointment for JCP to call the customer to progress the claim. I imagine in the case of any other vulnerable groups this will be the same advice. I’m hoping my client will call them today or tomorrow however I imagine there will be lengthy delays on the helplines.

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

I tried phoning this morning only to listen to 5 minutes of them talking about putting things on your journal (despite the fact I pressed the option of NS ESA)  only to be cut off completely after an engaged signal. I have no idea how any claimant is meant to make a claim if they are just being cut off!

annief
forum member

Benefits adviser - Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Send message

Total Posts: 107

I finally got through to the new claims line for ESA, after a 2 hour wait on hold,  and there is no other process for making a claim to ESA other than phoning the UC helpline. They have no postal address and they will take the claims over the phone!