to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC account managers gems

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 332

Its only Monday morning and I am already fuming.

My client has been waiting for 3 months for a response to MR. It is a straightforward issue;  UC was closed as housing costs were mistakenly not included in calculations, and client was means-tested out.
As a result, client fell into rent arrears with which she couldn’t catch up and this eventually led to eviction.

When she submitted next UC claims, she failed HRT 3 times consecutively as she couldn’t continue her self-employment without a home (she is EEA national, so she had to be a “qualifying” person”). By the time I’ve submitted MRs and and an appeal that she retained worker status (and got them all reversed), she has been without support for 4 months. 

We asked UC few days ago to escalate it to DM to issue MRN.

This is her account manager’s response (who obviously knows and cares deeply about my client being rendered homeless for Christmas):
“To consider a request for escalating a Mandatory Reconsideration, we need to know the reasons behind the request. The length of the wait for it to be dealt with is not grounds for us to consider escalating a Mandatory Reconsideration. “

What?! Being homeless and waiting for 3 months for MRN not good enough?

I just cannot imagine what kind of people they employ at those UC service centres.  Certainly those with capacity to make it up as they go along.