× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Sneaking under the beady eyes of medical receptionists!

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

So I’ve got an ongoing issue with one of the local GP surgeries, pretty standard stuff around charging for supporting letters etc. Been trying to have a meeting with them to discuss a productive way forward, but no luck so far.

Took an interesting turn in the latest episode:
I sent a MedEv request for a PIP claim. The surgery then elected to pass the letter on to the another welfare advice outreach there (let’s call them WA) (breach of GDPR and patient confidentiality as far as I am concerned, but that’ll be down to my client to pursue if he so desires).
I get an email from WA , asking me to get in touch re the client, Mr X.
I respond, asking for a phonecall or face to face to discuss general way forward.
Email back from WA goes as follows:
“Hi Alex, yes, sounds all positive - can I suggest you make an appointment to see me, at the surgery outreach on a Monday afternoon asap please using Mr X as the client - so the eager medical reception won’t raise any objection to an ‘outsider’ creeping in under their beady eyes! I tend to get medical record summaries etc for the info and concoct medical evidence that way, sometimes personally asking the medical reception to explain some medical speake on occasion.”

WA is one of the bigger advice organisations, and appears to have given one of their outreaches a bit too much freedom to get creative…