× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Tribunal representation sucess rates

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Have tried looking in vain for this, but can anyone tell me where I can find the latest statistics showing success rates at Firts tier Tribunals broken down by represented and unrepresented appellants?

Thanks

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

hi

i don’t think tribunal’s service publish stats on that any more.  came up in recent dwp research report on esa claimants where it said that 40% of esa appeals successful where claimant went on own, compared to 70% where they had help -

heres link to righstnet story on dwp research report 745 -

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/news/story/follow-up-survey-of-employment-and-support-allowance-claimants/

cheers ros

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Thanks - given the particularly poor standard of evidence and decision making in ESA one would expect such a high sucess rate. 

Does anyone know the success rate for represented appeals generally?  I recall it was said to be about twice the success rate for unrepresented appeals.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Neil - we obtained these stats for 2010 from the MoJ under a freedom of info request. I will email you a copy. They are not quite as comprehensive as previously published by TS when part of DWP. MoJ advise that they will be published in future fstarting with the first quater of 11-12 due in Sept. MoJ can also provide these stats by tribunal venue.