to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Unprompted PIP review - FTA replaced by indefinite award  

J Bathie
forum member

Family Finance Adviser, Money Advice Unit, Herts CC

Send message

Total Posts: 36

Recently received a copy of a PIP review letter for one of our long-term clients (long history of us assisting with all benefits - including initial DLA and two renewals, and PIP transition started in 2016).

Prior to this the most recent action on PIP claim was MR outcome dated April 17 - awarding ERDL and ERM to Feb 21 therefore would have been due to be reviewed from Feb 2020 onwards.

PIP reviewed the claim this month and award continues at ERDL and ERM but is now an ongoing award (with review set for 2029).

This is NOT a LEAP review, and PIP have had no further contact with claimant - i.e no review form issued.

Decision states:

“When we made our previous decision we gave you PIP for a set time because we expected your needs to change. I have reviewed the information and have decided your needs are continuing. I have decided to award you PIP for a longer time. Your rate of PIP has not changed. I have made my decision using the information we hold…“etc.

Not complaining obviously - and have other claimants getting the 10 year light touch review outcome as part of their scheduled PIP renewals - but this is new and wondered if anyone else has seen similar?

Have checked other threads regarding appropriate use or otherwise of reg 11 etc but haven’t seen anyone mention this when not part of a scheduled review.

NB client is under 50 so this is not on the basis of being over Pension age when next review was due.

Is it a quality control thing for a particular assessor, I wonder?  (although that doesn’t make sense in terms of the indefinite/light touch reviews only being announced in 2018 - after the last decision was made)