to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Partners Addition on SRP v Carer’s Allowance

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 125

Please can somebody confirm or clarify what should happen in the following scenario?

Client is 82. on SRP with a dependents/partner addition of £70 per week. This would end in April 2020 per legislation change. He gets DLA mobility, Pension Credit savings and guarantee and full HB/CTS.

Client is terminally ill with cancer, has a rv of DLA to get high rate care component awarded.. Partner claims Carer’s Allowance. Pension credit and state pension are informed that this has been claimed at the time it was claimed (10/7/19).

My expectation was that Carer’s Allowance would be paid, and that there might be a £3.85 top up to the £70 previously received. Per CPAG 2012/13 p742 this seems to be an overlapping benefit to me.

Pension Credit have informed client that both the addition and Carer’s Allowance are in payment and Pension Credit guarantee is ceasing, leading to loss of help with health costs etc, and a great deal of distress

Help!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

The Carers UK factsheet on Carer’s Allowance suggests that if the dependent’s additon with State Pension exceeds the amount of CA, then the ADI only pays the difference between the two (page 12).

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 125

Thank you Paul Treloar. I was starting to doubt myself.The DWP seem to have made it a very muddy case.