to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA Youth Rate

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

I’m sure I read somewhere that the abolishion date for ESA(Y) had been brought forward to April 2011 and it had now been abolished?

I cannot find this information anywhere now can someone confirm if this is right or is it still due to end next April?

splurge
forum member

Welfare officer - Peabody, London

Send message

Total Posts: 101

I’ve just check the “news” section of Rightsnet for 10th March 2011 which considers amendments in April 2011, there is no mention of it there, or anywhere in the April 2011 news. I would have assumed a fundermental change like this would have been loudly forewarned.

I therefore conclude that it must be April next year. CPAG Welfare Benefits and Tax Credits handbook states that it will be abolished, but as no date has been set by Government, the book suggests that we check online for updates

ktc
forum member

Project manager, Birmingham Tribunal Unit, Birmingham

Send message

Total Posts: 6

The Welfare Reform Bill includes a proposal to abolish ESA(Y) so until that comes into force (assuming it does) the youth provision should remain in place. (See clause 52 of Welfare Reform Bill)

mickd123
forum member

Leicestershire Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 73

Regulation 52 seems to be stating that a person receiving ESA(Y) on the day the act comes into force will remain on ESA(Y) for (up to) 365 days counting from the start of the ESA(Y) claim.  However any day during which the claimant is in the support group does not count towards the 365 day limitation.  I take this to mean that if a claimant is in and remains in the support group, he or she will still be entitled to ESA(Y).  Any dissenters?

Robbie Spence
forum member

Independent benefits adviser and trainer

Send message

Total Posts: 116

I agree with Mickd123. It’s the same as for all contributory ESA claimants. Those in WRA group lose contributory ESA after a year - or by April 2012, if they’ve had a year’s worth by then. Those in the Support group are not affected by the time limit to contributory ESA.