Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

18 yr old Care Leaver & IS

Gail Knight
forum member

Welfare rights - Halton Council

Send message

Total Posts: 104

Hi

18 Year old care leaver (was living with foster parents)claiming HB IS and EMA due to care leaving status wants to move 19 year old boyfriend into accommodation.

He works 16 hours

Does this loose her Care leaver status as they are now a couple living together under normal benefit rules.

Can the boyfriend claim CHB/CTC as partner still in education (not sure i going down the right route here Partner taking parental responsibility)

Help Thanks

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

She is exempt from making a joint JSA claim so her partner will not have to sign on if he works 16 hours or more but less than 24 (reg 3E(2)(g) of the JSA Regs).  She can make an ordinary JSA claim providing she fulfils the usual conditions of entitlement.

Gail Knight
forum member

Welfare rights - Halton Council

Send message

Total Posts: 104

Thank you, regarding the CHB claim and WTC is this a no go

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

“As she is in education she will have to satisfy reg 11 Part Time Students, Jobseekers Allowance Regulations 1996 in order to sign on”.

I know.  That’s why I said “providing she fulfills the usual conditions of entitlement.”

As to the last question.  Child Benefit is a non starter (reg 12 of the CB Regs).  So is CTC (cases G and H of reg 3 of the CTC Regs).  WTC would not be an option unless he had a disability which puts him at a disadvantage of getting a job (despite the fact he has one) and was in receipt of a qualifying benefit.  Otherwise he would need to work 30 hours or more.