Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Mixed-age couples with SDP excluded from both UC and pension credit?

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

I was talking to someone yesterday who raised the point that mixed-age couples can’t claim pension credit from 15 May 2019 but people in receipt of SDP can’t claim universal credit from 16 January 2019 - so what will mixed-age couples with SDP claim? There doesn’t seem to be anything in regs that addresses the issue -

The Universal Credit (Transitional Provisions) (SDP Gateway) Amendment Regulations 2019

The Welfare Reform Act 2012 (Commencement No. 31 and Savings and Transitional Provisions and Commencement No. 21 and 23 and Transitional and Transitory Provisions (Amendment)) Order 2019

Anyone got any ideas?

[ Edited: 18 Jan 2019 at 12:03 pm by Ros ]
Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 487

That thought had crossed my mind and that I needed to look at the regs
ultra vires?

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2909

Legacy DWP benefits have pensioner premiums, and the SDP gateway regs enable claims for HB and Tax Credits as well.  So I think they can make a new claim for the appropriate one out of IS, JSA, ESA and WTC plus where applicable HB and CTC

flair
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Linstone Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 53

If they are currently in receipt of SDP, does this not mean they must either be on HB or a Legacy benefit already and would therefore be protected?
Or is there another situation I’ve missed?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3214

If someone is claiming either PC or HB with an SDP at 15 May 2019, they can carry on receiving them without a problem. They can also establish a claim for the other benefit at a later point, provided that the benefit that was being received at 15 May 2019 has continued uniterruped ever since.

However, what’s puzzling me is what happens after 15 May with a mixed-age couple whereby the partner claiming ESA for both people with an SDP reaches 65 years of age and therefore the ESA payment has to stop. They will no longer be able to claim PC and as above, nor can they claim Universal Credit. What then? Is it then for the younger partner to make a new claim for ESA for both of them instead?

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Presumably both members of the couple are sufficiently disabled to warrant the double SDP so the ESA switch should theoretically be possible. other than that it is a CA application (assuming the criteria are met) and subsequent IS claim.

Vonny
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Social Inclusion Unit, Swansea

Send message

Total Posts: 487

The younger member of the couple claims a working age legacy benefit and then not covered by the pension age hb regs:
These Regulations shall not apply in relation to any person if he, or if he has a
partner, his partner, is a person on universal credit, on income support, on
an income-based jobseeker’s allowance or on an income-related employment and
support allowance

Therefore can then make a new working age HB claim?

Chrissum
forum member

WRAMAS, Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 240

Rock and hard place. Perhaps all it needs is an adjustment to HB regs between now and May. They’ve got time. It’s not as if they have anything better to do ; P

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

flair - 18 January 2019 12:08 PM

If they are currently in receipt of SDP, does this not mean they must either be on HB or a Legacy benefit already and would therefore be protected?
Or is there another situation I’ve missed?

Protection applies if you’re on PC and/or pension-age HB but not for other legacy benefits.  So I think some claimants with a legacy SDP still could be affected : suppose the older member of a couple reaches pension-age on/after 15 May 2019 but they weren’t on HB on 14 May 2019 so they remain on IS/JSA(IB)/ESA(IR) including SDP. If on/after 15th of May they have a CoC (e.g. becoming liable for rent) they won’t be protected from the mixed-age couple change so they won’t be able get PC or pension-age HB but equally they won’t be naturally migrated to UC as the SDP stops them from claiming.  ( So I think they’d remain on working-age legacy as HB Anorak has suggested.)

[ Edited: 20 Jan 2019 at 09:48 pm by Jon Blackwell ]
Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

HB Anorak - 18 January 2019 12:07 PM

Legacy DWP benefits have pensioner premiums, and the SDP gateway regs enable claims for HB and Tax Credits as well.  So I think they can make a new claim for the appropriate one out of IS, JSA, ESA and WTC plus where applicable HB and CTC

I agree (*). As well as (presumably?) continuing to get pensioner premium in the legacy benefit which will normally top up the amount payable to PC levels they’ll also (hopefully?) continue to be protected from bedroom tax via HB Reg A13(2)(d). Also, since they’re entitled to SDP, they’ll be on a benefit which exempts them from HB benefit cap.

So this group will typically lose out less than the majority of those mixed-age couples who are forced to claim UC.

However, they’ll still potentially miss out on the advantages of PC/pension-age HB around capital. And they may also lose out by being kept on working-age CTR instead of pension-age.

(* I’ve assumed that article 6(2) won’t be engaged .)

[ Edited: 20 Jan 2019 at 10:10 pm by Jon Blackwell ]