Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Universal credit N.I. crdits only

NIGELB
forum member

Rotherham and District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 56

Good morning

I am struggling to find the answer to the question.
I have a client who was advised to claim new style ESA due to having a pension. It was considered that this was the best path for them.
The client then tried to claim but the DWP/UC advised that they would be unlikely to be successful so the client ought to claim UC instead.
The client went to the local jobcentre with the same question and was told to make a claim for UC. the client is not going to qualify for any monitory gain from this and as per JSA etc was wanting a credits claim.

Can this happen or is it a case of if you don’t qualify for money from UC even 1p your claim is closed.
I cant find anything or any regulations.

If on the other hand the client asks for the claim to be scrapped and not processed and re applies for new style ESA and is refused then they could challenge.
UC can be so complicated sometimes.

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction

thank you

best wishes and a merry Christmas

Nigel

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1017

NIGELB - 20 December 2018 11:28 AM

Good morning

I am struggling to find the answer to the question.
I have a client who was advised to claim new style ESA due to having a pension. It was considered that this was the best path for them.
The client then tried to claim but the DWP/UC advised that they would be unlikely to be successful so the client ought to claim UC instead.
The client went to the local jobcentre with the same question and was told to make a claim for UC. the client is not going to qualify for any monitory gain from this and as per JSA etc was wanting a credits claim.

Can this happen or is it a case of if you don’t qualify for money from UC even 1p your claim is closed.
I cant find anything or any regulations.

If on the other hand the client asks for the claim to be scrapped and not processed and re applies for new style ESA and is refused then they could challenge.
UC can be so complicated sometimes.

I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction

thank you

best wishes and a merry Christmas

Nigel

If i have understoood your post correctly i.e. credits only claims.

Have a look at the attached FOI with links to the legislation - for tactical reasons giving client’s FOI’s and guidance etc for visits to jobcentre or attaching links on UC journal etc helps with obstacles encountered.

File Attachments

NIGELB
forum member

Rotherham and District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 56

Thank you for your help
I will look at the attachment

Yes you are correct it is effectively a N.I credits claim hence the reason for new style ESA but on UC I fear that if there is no money involved they shut the case down.

thanks again
best wishes

Nigel

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

You’re right that if there is no entitlement to UC then the claim will be refused and will not exist.

But your client can and should claim new-style ESA separately for credits.