to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Managed migration - what is protected?

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

Various things I have seen recently got me thinking about what may happen when people go through “managed migration” from an existing benefit claim to UC.

While it’s clear that transitional protection will provide an increased payment to people who would otherwise receive a lower payment by moving to UC I am more concerned about various other differences between UC and legacy benefits.

Here are a couple of examples:

Child Tax Credit remains in payment until the child’s 20th birthday if they are in non-advanced education that started before their 19th birthday. In an otherwise identical situation UC only pays until 31 August following their 19th birthday. This makes little difference with a child whose birthday is in September or October but if the child’s birthday is in July or August the loss is huge.

Single parents claiming IS aren’t required to look for work until their child is 5 (when they lose IS entitlement) but UC will require them to look for and take work - normally for 16 hours a week - once their child is 3.

My suspicion is that nothing at all will be done to alleviate the effect of these changed conditions of entitlement even though I would like to think otherwise.