Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC Changes Today?

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2009

Laura Kuenssberg from the BBC has just Tweeted

Forget Brexit for a moment - expect a shift on Universal Credit from new DWP sec, Amber Rudd at her first appearance in House in that job this afternoon - not sure what details are but expect some kind of commitment to fix the problems and a different tone

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3224

As suspected, her announcement seems to be that they’re working with stakeholders to ensure managed migration works. At the recent consultation event, this co-opting of organisations to suggest support for what is taking place makes it very difficult to agree to work with them.

https://twitter.com/dwppressoffice/status/1064532398975651840

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

More @ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46265558

Also from BBC:

She [SSWP] added: “I know it can be better. We will have a fair, compassionate and efficient benefit system.

“We can make changes. I know there are problems and we will be fixing them.”

[ Edited: 19 Nov 2018 at 04:18 pm by Peter Turville ]
Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1972

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK - 19 November 2018 03:00 PM

As suspected, her announcement seems to be that they’re working with stakeholders to ensure managed migration works. At the recent consultation event, this co-opting of organisations to suggest support for what is taking place makes it very difficult to agree to work with them.

https://twitter.com/dwppressoffice/status/1064532398975651840

I feel a bit confused and behind the times here.

May I have a bit more detail about the consultation event, or be pointed to where it is available?  Who and what does DWP mean by ‘stakeholders’ in this context?

Is this more about recruitment of cheerleaders than people who can offer a bit of critical thinking? (Guess what i suspect???)

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2009

This mornings press says that she’s asking the Treasury for more cash.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3224

Andrew Dutton - 19 November 2018 04:48 PM

I feel a bit confused and behind the times here.

May I have a bit more detail about the consultation event, or be pointed to where it is available?  Who and what does DWP mean by ‘stakeholders’ in this context?

Is this more about recruitment of cheerleaders than people who can offer a bit of critical thinking? (Guess what i suspect???)

I’m in a permanent state of confusion here Andrew so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Basically, DWP organised a stakeholder event about managed migration in the middle of October. I only found out about it at the last minute as the invite had gone to our CEO and then did laps of the organisation.

They started the day with reflections on UC to date, with contributions from CEO of Trussell Trust, senior policy person from MIND and a housing association rep. Have to say, their accounts were pretty damning overall, which was unexpected at a DWP sponsored event/ Trussell Trust said 70% of their clients plunged straight into debt due to 5-week delays for payment, 56% had housing problems, and a 52% increase in referrals in areas where UC rolled out for 12 months.

MIND talked about how UC was undermining stability of people’s long-term health conditions, with many struggling to manage their claims effectively. HA person said she was shocked by the basic lack of empathy and human kindness from helpline operators, when claimant they were speaking to was sobbing down the phone at not being able to cope.

Neil Couling then talked about managed migration plans in more detail, most of which you’d know about already. No more than 10,000 claimants migrated in first year, stuck to guns over people being invited to claim as pre-populating UC claim could lead to mistakes being carried over, doesn’t believe the ~20% of unfinished new UC claims will be a problem on migration etc.

Then there was some table discussion around 4 broad themes (1) claimant experience (2) delivery service issues (3) communications engagement (4) how to identify and support vulnerable claimants. Seems the plan is to create some separate workstreams around these areas over coming months. Both in table discussions and in feedback from the floor, the point was made that by engaging, some organisations were concerned about being seen to give tacit support to what is taking place.

In terms of who were the stakeholders, there were less WR people than I expected, although Daphne of rightsnet/NAWRA was there, Josie from CPAG, and people from MIND, Mencap, Law Centres NI, and lots of housing associations. Haven’t really heard much since but if you’re interested, I’m sure you could throw your hat into the proverbial ring.