Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

CTC claim or UC? SDP in payment

leeosborne
forum member

Airewharfe Mental Health Services, BDCT, Keighley

Send message

Total Posts: 36

Hello,

Client phoned to make CTC claim following birth of baby. CTC directed her to claim UC.

Advice worker has since told client and me that receipt of SDP means that we can ring CTC to start CTC claim rather than client having to claim UC. Advisor told us to be persistent, asking to speak to supervisor if need be.

Have just been reading through Rightsnet re transitional arrangements that have not yet come into force and am getting a sinking feeling about ringing CTC to try to start a new claim this afternoon. Can find no separate reference to CTC and SDP.

Client is single parent, one baby, in receipt of ESA, PIP, SDP and housing benefit. 

Could anyone please advise on whether the advice to insist on a CTC claim rather than UC because of SDP receipt is correct?

Thanks!

lee

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

I’m afraid it isn’t yet as the regulations are still in draft form. The only consolation is that if they stay in their current form, your client will get some retrospective transional protectsion (extra UC) when they do come into force - both backdated and on an ongoing basis - although not neceessarily as much as she has lost.

leeosborne
forum member

Airewharfe Mental Health Services, BDCT, Keighley

Send message

Total Posts: 36

Thank you for the speedy response Daphne! Very much helped our afternoon.

Lee

WROTricia
forum member

Advice Works, Renfrewshire

Send message

Total Posts: 103

I have a client who moved to a UCFS area and was told by someone at DWP that because they get the SDP/EDP they do not have to claim UC, they should just tell the LA that and HB will be forthcoming, sadly I had to advise that is not true…yet. It is concerning that draft regs are being touted as legislation by people who absolutely should know better.