Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

ESA + EDP claimant.

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 111

Hello,

I’ve confused myself with the migration rules.

A client is moving from live service (gateway) area to full service UC area currently receives ESA + Enhanced Disability Premium (~£127.15pw). No HB.

After moving:
(1) does he remain on legacy and apply for HB because managed migration has not started here? OR
(2) does he apply for UC and receive HB + Transitional Protection/ LCWRA?

Apologies if this has been answered already. As I said, I confused myself with this.

Thanks

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

my understanding is:

he has to claim uc.  he can transfer his LCFW/LCFWRA into the uc claim. if he loses out financially due to this then then nothing currently happens as the regs to deal with this and the response to the recent legal challenges have not yet been finalised (though we have draft regs).

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

stevenmcavoy - 24 September 2018 05:01 PM

my understanding is:

he has to claim uc.  he can transfer his LCFW/LCFWRA into the uc claim. if he loses out financially due to this then then nothing currently happens as the regs to deal with this and the response to the recent legal challenges have not yet been finalised (though we have draft regs).

As I understand it, the draft regs only cover severe disability premiums and not the enhanced disability premium.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

MKM35 - 24 September 2018 05:06 PM
stevenmcavoy - 24 September 2018 05:01 PM

my understanding is:

As I understand it, the draft regs only cover severe disability premiums and not the enhanced disability premium.

i think thats right.  i remember a fairly detailed debate on this in another thread on the issue but on a practical basis i think your client just loses out (at the moment).

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

Doesn’t lose out by claiming UC according to my arithmetic: UC LCWRA > Support Component + EDP. Only practical issue might be that LCWRA doesn’t carry over to UC as efficiently as it ought to. But once everything beds in he should be up about £20 a week.

[ Edited: 24 Sep 2018 at 10:29 pm by HB Anorak ]
Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

As above, it’s just a normal case. The EDP doesn’t change anything (and wouldn’t under the current version of the managed migration regs). Either he can stick with what he has (ESA only) or claim UC.

EDP has effectively been lumped into the increased LCWRA element under UC. All being equal, someone who is assessed as LCWRA and so currently gets the support component and the EDP will get an increase in benefit under UC - but someone who is either assessment phase or WRAG and gets EDP for some other reason will lose out.

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Thank you, HB & Elliot!

To confirm, we could quote UC TP reg 19 to ensure a smooth(ish) transition?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Yes quote reg 19 and, if they start asking for fit notes and trying to send for a WCA, escalate!

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Daphne - 25 September 2018 11:01 AM

… escalate!

on it!
*cracks knuckles* :)

MKM35
forum member

ASG PBS UC Shelter

Send message

Reg 63 of Draft UC TP says SDP claimants need not apply for UC at all.
Does that mean my client can stay on legacy benefits until he is migrated over? Or does it not apply because (1) refers to SDP and (20 is still a draft?

Jeremy Barker
forum member

Citizens Advice North Lincolnshire

Send message

Total Posts: 102

MKM35 - 27 September 2018 02:35 PM

Does that mean my client can stay on legacy benefits until he is migrated over? Or does it not apply because (1) refers to SDP and (20 is still a draft?

They can only claim legacy benefits after the draft regulations become real and enter into force. Until then they have to claim UC (unless they can manage without UC) and should later on be able to rely on the proposed provision that is supposed to compensate for the loss of SDP in UC. [At least that is my understanding]

[ Edited: 27 Sep 2018 at 02:50 pm by Jeremy Barker ]
Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

MKM35 - 27 September 2018 02:35 PM

Does that mean my client can stay on legacy benefits until he is migrated over? Or does it not apply because (1) refers to SDP and (2) is still a draft?

Both (1) and (2).