to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

‘Esther McVey admits ongoing problems with universal credit’

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/19/esther-mcvey-admits-ongoing-problems-with-universal-credit

The dawn of a new realism ? The end of vain, vacuous boasting? The end of insults to anyone who dares criticise?

Or…....?

andyrichards
forum member

City services - Brighton and Hove City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 204

Was she in a box, speaking to a priest through a grille…..?

GWRS adviser
forum member

Welfare Rights Service, Greenwich Council, London

Send message

Total Posts: 211

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

“We are both a pragmatic and a visionary government, listening to business, listening to charities, listening to people on the frontline .... And most importantly, always listening to the claimant.”

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

Owen Stevens - 20 July 2018 09:53 AM

Here’s the speech: http://www.reform.uk/publication/speech-by-rt-hon-esther-mcvey-mp/

‘And don’t think that irony wasn’t lost on me ’ - er,so the irony was lost on her.

Buzzwords present and correct - ‘test and learn’, ‘agile’ etc.

Her approval of the gig economy is a bit chilling.

‘we are seeing an increasingly inclusive workforce, where work fits around personal circumstances and caring responsibilities.’ 

Are we?????

‘cliff edges’ inherent in the old system – where benefits first dropped-off at 16 hours, and then at 30 hours of work per week – have now gone.’ - what cliff-edge at 30 hours????

‘When you apply online, the experience is tailored to individual circumstances to allow us to develop the most efficient and effective service.’  Is this really true?

Even a swipe at the EU…..!

But there’s something to hold her to - no more plugging of the ears and loud denials when things go wrong.  ‘Hands up’  and ‘mea culpa’ instead!

Let’s wait and see.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

“But my journey of what life is about without a job started way before that. Growing up in Liverpool in the 1980s – seeing its impact on people and its impact on local communities. Waking up with nowhere to go, time spent wondering what you’re going to do. Some memories actually never leave you”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_McVey

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

nevip - 20 July 2018 01:17 PM

“But my journey of what life is about without a job started way before that. Growing up in Liverpool in the 1980s – seeing its impact on people and its impact on local communities. Waking up with nowhere to go, time spent wondering what you’re going to do. Some memories actually never leave you”.

oooohhhhh!! Feel very much like editing Wiki!!

Stop me!!!!!

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

chacha - 20 July 2018 01:33 PM

oooohhhhh!! Feel very much like editing Wiki!!

Stop me!!!!!

Chortle!

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

shawn - 20 July 2018 10:46 AM

“We are both a pragmatic and a visionary government, listening to business, listening to charities, listening to people on the frontline .... And most importantly, always listening to the claimant.”

Is she competing for a literary prize for fiction? Or is she utterly divorced from reality?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_McVey

She went to Belvedere and then St. Marys. I doubt she spent a single moment wondering what she was going to do.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

I think we can safely assume that not a single word she speaks can be trusted. Much like the rest of those who aspire to rule.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

... but but but I aspire to rule!