Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Pension Credit or UC

‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Sighs, we’ve also been made aware that gov.uk Universal Credit page has now been amended to state:

If you’re over Pension Credit qualifying age, you can claim Universal Credit or Pension Credit as a couple if you have a partner who’s under Pension Credit qualifying age. From 1 February 2019 most couples will not be able to claim Pension Credit until both partners have reached Pension Credit qualifying age.

We’re going to check again about what’s happening.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Yes just saw that myself - will also email my contacts…

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1964

If DWP is going to give priority to being mean to mixed-aged couples rather than helping people who are losing/have lost SDP on the now-extended UC timetable, this could plumb new depths.

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

Just had an email through which says -

10:34am, 17 December 2018: Removed information about people over Pension Credit qualifying age published in error on 17 December 2018.

see attached screenshot

So it’s not happening again!

[ Edited: 17 Dec 2018 at 11:22 am by Daphne ]

Image Attachments

Screen_Shot_2018-12-17_at_10.34_.56_.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

Absurd doesn’t come near it…..

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

The question is - are they making the change public before they intended to, rather than someone inventing the date for the change in a couple of different places?

Tina M
forum member

Benefits team - Stoke-on-Trent Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 41

TP45 - 17 December 2018 09:06 AM

If you’re over Pension Credit qualifying age, you can claim Universal Credit or Pension Credit as a couple if you have a partner who’s under Pension Credit qualifying age. From 1 February 2019 most couples will not be able to claim Pension Credit until both partners have reached Pension Credit qualifying age.

http://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-family-quick-guide/universal-credit-further-information-for-families

Hi TP 45

I couldn’t find any references to 1st Feb on the page you’ve just shared - it says this but nothing underneath about any changes to the rules.

‘If you’re over Pension Credit qualifying age, you can claim if you have a partner who’s under Pension Credit qualifying age.’ 

Tina

PS just seen Daphne’s post saying it’s been removed - what a farce

Tina M
forum member

Send message

HB Anorak - 14 December 2018 09:12 AM

Looks as if the i might have picked up on this thread, or otherwise become aware of the now hastily withdrawn stakeholder letter.  The reporter or a researcher contacted Age UK and since one of the regular contributors to this forum, and indeed this thread, works for Age UK I assume he would know if there is anything more definite.

I wouldn’t have thought the government needs any more unnecessary self-inflicted grief right now. On Amber Rudd’s “to do” list this is probably sitting just above “marry Jacob Rees Mogg”

the thought Amber Rudd and Jacob Rees-Mogg marrying is the stuff of nightmares - lol

Tina M
forum member

Send message

I’ve just had a thought - from 1st Feb 2019 pensioners with children who are claiming PC for the first time will have child elements included in their Pension Credit instead of them having to claim Child Tax Credit.

I wonder if the increase in the applicable amounts for those who qualify for those elements will mean that more people will be entitled to PC than are currently entitled to it, so that is the reason why they might be introducing the rule to prevent mixed-age couples from claiming PC at the same time. 

Or has someone in the DWP assumed both changes will be applied at the same time?

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Send message

So, the sneaky cowardly so and so’s snuck out the announcement today.

In 2012, Parliament voted to modernise the welfare system to ensure that couples, where one person is of working age and the other person is over state pension age, access support, where it is needed, through the working age benefit regime. This replaces the previous system whereby the household could access either Pension Credit and pension age Housing Benefit, or working-age benefits.

Pension Credit is designed to provide long-term support for pensioner households who are no longer economically active. It is not designed to support working age claimants. This change will ensure that the same work incentives apply to the younger partner as apply to other people of the same age, and taxpayer support is directed where it is needed most.

I set out to Parliament last year that this change would be implemented once Universal Credit was available nationally for new claims. Today I can confirm that this change will be introduced from 15th May 2019. The change is being brought into effect in Great Britain through a Commencement Order[1] under the Welfare Reform Act 2012. There will be an equivalent Order to introduce the change for Northern Ireland.

Couples with one partner under State Pension age who are already in receipt of Pension Credit or pension-age Housing Benefit at the point of change will be unaffected while they remain entitled to either benefit.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2019-01-14/HCWS1249/

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

Press release now issued too:

Currently, couples can choose to make that transition when the older partner of the couple reaches State Pension age.

In 2012, Parliament voted to modernise the system and change the rule for couples so that the transition takes place when the younger partner reaches State Pension age. This will ensure the younger partner is in the same circumstances as other people of the same age, regardless of the age of their partner.

The government announced today that the change will be introduced from 15 May 2019.

Mixed age couples with a partner under State Pension age already in receipt of Pension Credit or pension-age Housing Benefit at the point of change will be unaffected while they remain entitled to either benefit.

If a mixed age couple claim working age benefits, the pensioner partner will not be subject to work-based conditionality. Any work-based conditionality for the younger partner will be tailored to meet their circumstances.

More: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-benefits-for-mixed-age-couples

Plus, from gov.uk, updated versions of:

- Pension Credit factsheet
- Pension Credit toolkit

LJF
forum member

Benefits caseworker - Manchester Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 143

am i right in thinking there are no pensioner premiums in UC so on PC now a couple will get £1078 a month but after 15/5/19 if make a new UC claim only get £498.89?

CA Adviser
forum member

Citizens Advice Calderdale, West Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 168

If someone is in receipt of UC at the point that they become eligible for State Pension/Pension Credit, am assuming that they reclaim HB for housing costs rather than remain on UC (as to satisfy basic conditions for UC need to be under qualifying age for PC)?

Thanks

Daphne
Administrator

Send message

That’s correct :)

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

I’ve put up some more detailed initial thoughts about the effects of this, over the rates amounts, at https://benefitsinthefuture.com.  Notice the additions from Daphne and Gary Vaux in the comments.