Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Access to higher students - Entitled or Not?

CJ
forum member

Notting Hill Housing Association (London) - Buisness Improvement Department

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Hi,

I have a tenant who has come to me today as he was informed that his UC claim was cancelled. This was due to him being on a access to higher education course. At the time he was in a live service area and incorrectly ticked he was not a student. So I believe he has been overpaid and I am informed that a live service claimant cant be any type of student.

My question is that now he wishes to make a claim in the full service area. Will he be entitled?

He is full time, as he studies over 16 hours. But looking further in to it I believe access to higher is only equivalent to a A- levels so should not be deemed advanced??
He has also not had any student finance and not been entitled to this.

Any advice would be great.

Philippa D
forum member

Weymouth & Portland Citizens Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 123

Access to HE is a Level 3 qualification, so equivalent to A levels and is non-advanced.

A full-time student can only claim UC in specified circs. These include:
- Aged under 21 and on non-advanced course (or aged 21 and turned 21 during course) and without parental support (specific conditions for this)
- Responsible for child or qualifying young person
- Single foster parent
- Member of a couple who are both full-time students and one is responsible for a child or is a foster parent
- Assessed as having LCW and receiving AA, DLA or PIP
- Over PC age
- Claiming as couple with partner who is not a student, or who is a student but who would be entitled to UC while receiving education
- Waiting to return to a course after taking time out due to illness or caring responsibilities

Student will still be subject to work-related requirements on UC unless:
- Aged under 21 (or 21 and turned 21 on course) in non-advanced education without parental support; or
- Receiving student income which is taken into account for UC (e.g. student loan, maintenance grants; or
- Not subject under general rules (e.g. responsible for child, carer, LCW)

CJ
forum member

Notting Hill Housing Association (London) - Buisness Improvement Department

Send message

Total Posts: 10

Thanks for the quick response.

Ok, so yea although deemed a non-advanced student as he is over 21 (24) and doesn’t hit any of the specified circs he is not entitled.