× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Client’s medical assessment in another city

Invictus
forum member

Bestwood Advice Centre, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 9

I’m sure this topic was discussed on here a few years back, but I can’t find it- I’m hoping someone might be able to provide a link?
We’ve a client who has a medical assessment in another city. They are physically, mentally & financially unable to do this- someone vulnerable with a learning disability and physical problems whose family is also disabled, who has a PIP assessment which would require £60 in taxi fares, if they could manage the journey.
We are obtaining medical evidence to confirm they can’t manage such a journey alone & hopefully get a local assessment, but I want to see what guidance & criteria are used to determine what is/not “acceptable”?
Thanks in anticipation.

NeverSayNo
forum member

Welfare rights department - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 195

ATOS who do the local assessment provision for Northumberland claimants hold most of their medicals in a different county altogether (there is some low volume of assessments in Ashington - most go to Newcastle, or Gateshead, or the really unlucky ones go down to Sunderland).

The link to ATOS assessments information is here: https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/your-assessment/overview/ but you need to check whether it is ATOS or CAPITA who do the assessments in your area.

Ultimately it is a decision by the DWP on whether your client had good cause for not attending if they end up not being able to go. The PIP customer service helpline has listened to us in previous cases where ATOS are ignorant of how their set-up is affecting people with disabilities.

Was this the link you wanted but couldnt find?

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11235/

[ Edited: 7 Mar 2018 at 03:32 pm by NeverSayNo ]
Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/390010/response/952208/attach/3/FOI 640 Redgard S FINAL.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Maybe start here?

Invictus
forum member

Bestwood Advice Centre, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Thanks guys, I knew there was something I’d seen somewhere!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Sorry, not quite sure why that link broke. You need the full thing obviously.

On all the cases I’ve had like this (Salford resident to Liverpool or Sheffield for example) I have been advised that the system pops in the first available slot rather than look at location. A quick phone call brings them to their senses usually (assuming there is a nearer or more accessible venue) although I did have a couple of people who actually did go to Liverpool and Sheffield!