to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Transitional Protection on Natural Migration

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Noble readers will remember the last Secretary of State telling Parliament that there was transitional protection for people migrating to UC.

That baffled me as I thought that was not the case so I asked for the guidance.

I have attached their response.

Quelle Surprise

File Attachments

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1970

Quite rightly, people are getting very worked up about this.

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/12399/
https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11307/

Can’t put it better than CPAG has:

(i) DWP’s policy is irrational - individuals in such a situation have not undergone a change of circumstances nor have they chosen to claim UC and as such there is no rational basis for treating them differently from those who are moved onto UC under the managed migration process.
(ii) the policy is discriminatory on the grounds of disability– incorrect decisions that a person no longer qualifies for a sickness or disability related benefits are more common than for other benefits and those with a disabled person in the household are more likely to be cash losers under UC than under legacy benefits.
(iii) breach of public sector equality duty – neither the equality impact assessment which accompanied the UC proposals in the Welfare Reform Act 2012 nor the subsequent impact assessment addressed the situation of those whose legacy benefits are incorrectly terminated, let alone the particular impact on those with a disability.

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

And yet DWP continue to refer to Transitional Protection when asked about the people who are losing out on SDP NOW during the process of natural migration, and when challenged that this is misleading continue to affirm that it accurate.