to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

uc when claimant cant use email as banned from doing so by court

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

been asked this by a sw in a full service area.  client cant use email due to court order. anyone practical experience of how such clients claim and then manage the claim?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

appreciated thanks.  my cursory look at guidance brought no success.  once again i have been saved some time searching by this forum.

what you lose on the dwp telephony swings you gain on the rightsnet round abouts :)

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

stevenmcavoy - 01 February 2018 02:06 PM

what you lose on the dwp telephony swings you gain on the rightsnet round abouts :)

Lol

Don’t forget you only need an email address to receive the account details. After that all contact can be via text message. You could set up a gmail/yahoo/insert provider of choice account to recieve that one email then close it down again.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

Dan Manville - 01 February 2018 03:08 PM
stevenmcavoy - 01 February 2018 02:06 PM

Lol

Don’t forget you only need an email address to receive the account details. After that all contact can be via text message. You could set up a gmail/yahoo/insert provider of choice account to recieve that one email then close it down again.

not if he’s got a court order banning email.  courts mean what they say…..so don’t do it.

the other thing you could do is ask his sols to ask the court to vary the order to allow the UC claim (and in any event, someone needs to make courts aware that the effect of such orders is to prevent people dealing with UC!)

Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District
forum member

Citizens Advice Bridport & District

Send message

Total Posts: 1019

Have a look at the FOI attachments

We helped someone make a claim by phone couple of days ago, colleague advised regarding the reference to the email to set up the code, that the UC enquiry line talked about a ‘dummy’ email to create a an account, as that is what the ‘build’ demands, but isn’t a personal account as we know it?

[ Edited: 1 Feb 2018 at 04:39 pm by Andyp5 Citizens Advice Bridport & District ]
Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

You really need to know the terms of the Order; assuming this isn’t a hypothetical.

If the order says “X may not use email for the following purposes” or “X may not use email except where essential” or “X may not send email” then you don’t have a problem.

If the order says “X must never under any circumstances use email” then a “dummy” email is still going to be a problem - the DWP are going to have to use the “contingency email” as per Dan’s document. As far as we are concerned, using any sort of email is out of the question. Once you’re over the initial hurdle, managing the claim is not a problem because it isn’t done via email.

If the order is in broader terms that that, it could well preclude the client from using the online claims system at all and the DWP are going to have to figure out a solution for themselves.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 01 February 2018 05:53 PM

If the order is in broader terms that that, it could well preclude the client from using the online claims system at all and the DWP are going to have to figure out a solution for themselves.

quite.

easier, in the current climate, to get the order amended.

but even that won’t help if in fact the order bans any internet access, smart phone ownership, etc etc etc.

as I understand it from having read various case reports, certainly terrorist suspects have such bans in place and so will be unable to claim UC as and when they are transitioned to it…..

and i would imagine the more serious sex offenders will have similar bans in place…

Dan_Manville
forum member

Send message

ClairemHodgson - 01 February 2018 04:17 PM

not if he’s got a court order banning email.  courts mean what they say…..so don’t do it.

Even if an adviser set the address up and didn’t disclose the credentials to the claimant?

forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 01 February 2018 05:53 PM

You really need to know the terms of the Order; assuming this isn’t a hypothetical.

If the order says “X may not use email for the following purposes” or “X may not use email except where essential” or “X may not send email” then you don’t have a problem.

If the order says “X must never under any circumstances use email” then a “dummy” email is still going to be a problem - the DWP are going to have to use the “contingency email” as per Dan’s document. As far as we are concerned, using any sort of email is out of the question. Once you’re over the initial hurdle, managing the claim is not a problem because it isn’t done via email.

“Dummy email” was DWP UC enquiry line speak for the “contingency email” as per Dan’s document.

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3139

Oh okay - in my head “dummy email” meant “can’t your client just make a one-off throw away hotmail account to get over this hurdle?” whereas “contingency email” meant an email address fully owned and operated by the DWP.

forum member

Send message

Elliot Kent - 02 February 2018 10:58 AM

Oh okay - in my head “dummy email” meant “can’t your client just make a one-off throw away hotmail account to get over this hurdle?” whereas “contingency email” meant an email address fully owned and operated by the DWP.

Which is a pretty reasonable assumption! But i thought i better spell out that’s the term the telephony people are using for ‘contingency email’.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Send message

Dan Manville - 02 February 2018 09:45 AM
ClairemHodgson - 01 February 2018 04:17 PM

Even if an adviser set the address up and didn’t disclose the credentials to the claimant?

not worth the risk i wouldn’t have thought.  especially if the order is in criminal proceedings.

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Send message

if the client’s order is “no access to email” that’s what it means.

trying to find ways round the order won’t help your client.  easier, as i said before, to get the order amended.