Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC claim closed, ID issues ... how do you know?

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

The issue of UC claims being arbitrarily “closed” without a proper decision or any right of MR/appeal has been discussed at some length in recent months.  It seems to happen where the claimant isn’t able to use Gov Uk Verify or similar and then fails to arrange an ID interview.  Just curious as to how the claimant finds out this has happened: do they receive some kind of communication telling them?  I understand that if it has been posted to the journal they cannot see it because the journal has been closed.  Do they only find out by querying the lack of progress on the helpline and are then told by the helpline that their claim has been closed?

Sally63
forum member

Generalist Adviser, Southwark Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 177

I don’t know if this applies to ID failures but certainly at least for some closures the journal is available (but not postable) unless and until the claimant makes a new claim

The call centre staff can see all claims. The claimant can only see the current one.

I had a client who thought she had made three UC claims (all closed) the call centre staff thought she had made five. They could see them all and she could only see the last one.

HB Anorak
forum member

Send message

So if the last claim you made has been closed and you haven’t yet made a new one, you can see the journal saying something like “sorry this claim is closed, you cannot update it anymore - you will have to claim again”.  Something like that?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

HB Anorak - 14 December 2017 05:48 PM

So if the last claim you made has been closed and you haven’t yet made a new one, you can see the journal saying something like “sorry this claim is closed, you cannot update it anymore - you will have to claim again”.  Something like that?

That’s pretty much it. You can still see the journal proper - i.e. the history of messages to and from the claimant - but you cannot add anything at all.

Helpfully, one of the things that you can’t add is a mandatory reconsideration request challenging the decision to close your claim.

HB Anorak
forum member

Send message

Excellent, thanks both