Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Family member as sister? 


forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 84

Joined: 22 May 2016

Hi, another RTR;

Client has 1 year old, client is Spanish, and looking for RTR. Lives with sister, Spanish who is a worker. 

Question is simply, can the sister who is a worker, grant RTR, as a family member?

Income support and RTR comes up a lot, but client looking to claim IS. She has been in the country 9 months and has not worked

Have only met client briefly and still need more detail


forum member

Information and Advice Resources, Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 1432

Joined: 7 January 2016

It could be a stretch to be honest.

An extended family member can be someone who does not meet the definition of direct ‘family member (which she doesn’t) and is an ‘other family member’, who was a dependant or member of the household of the EEA national prior to the EEA national coming to the UK. She would also need to demonstrate an on-going dependency in the UK.

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser Southwark Law Centre Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 801

Joined: 25 February 2014

In addition to what Paul says, your client would need an EEA family permit. She would need to apply to the Home Office for this. There will be no right to reside until the EEA family permit is issued - and then, only from that point.