to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Possible legal challenges on universal credit

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3552

I have been liaising with a firm of solicitors talking about possible ways to take judicial review action on various aspects of universal credit and weare very interested in taking challenges on working disabled people and self-employed - they are already taking a challenge on behalf of claimants losing the sdp.

We would be really keen to hear about clients who have lost out moving to universal credit who are either -

- a working disabled person moving from WTC to UC and losing money due to loss of disabled worker element
- self-employed people who are losing out because of irregular income and so get less UC than an employed person earning a similar amount, or other self-employed people losing out under UC

If you have any clients who are affected and would like to consider legal challenges let me know - either on here or DM me.

I think the more we can get challenges in the better!

[ Edited: 2 Nov 2017 at 11:16 am by Daphne ]
stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 872

I have a client who is a disabled worker and in a full service area.  they don’t get any uc at the moment and wont until they pass the wca (assuming they do) and get an earnings allowance and a component.

if they lived in a live service area they would have got wtc.

doesn’t sound like that’s what you need and its specifically people that have had to move but if mine is of interest then let me know as clients mum is suitable furious about uc to take it on.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

A lot of reg. 116 (harship payments) looks extremely dodgy on grounds of 1. failing to prescribe circumstances properly (“as the SoS may determine”) and 2. irrationality - on a literal reading of (2) and (3) a sanctioned claimant could not spend £1 on a bus fare to look for work or send their child to school.